LME Last 10 minutes of boil???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerdad

Reaction score
I read in a few threads that it's better to add the LME in the last 10 minutes of the boil. It gives a lighter color to the beer and there is less chance of it starting to burn.

The basic instructions I follow are

Bring water to 155 degrees and steep specialty grains

Bring water to a boil then add LME and sugars

Bring back to a boil and add hops over the next hour at specific times

So I add the LME during the hops boil? That's how I read last 10 minutes of boil. Am I wrong? I just want to make sure before I mess something up. It seems like the whole process would be shorter and easier that way. I don't doubt anyone here, but if it's easier and better why would my HBS give me instructions that make things harder and not as good?

It's not any easier, you're just adding the extract at a different time, and it's not any faster, you still boil for the full duration for hop utilization.

Generally with late extract addition, I would do something like this:
steep grains at desired temp, then remove, bring water to boil, then take it off the heat and add about 1/3 of the extract. Put back on heat, when it reaches a boil, add the bittering hops and start your boil timer. When you reach about 10-15 mins left in the boil (when you're sometimes adding flavor hops), take it off the heat again and add the rest of the extract, stir well, put back on the heat, and continue the boil to the end.

If you do it with two partial extract additions like that, it's more work, and a bit more complicated for a beginner to follow, so it's not surprising at all that your LHBS would tell you the simpler method.

Keep in mind that you NEED to adjust your hop additions to compensate if you are starting with a concentrated-boil extract recipe and switching it to late extract addition, you can quite literally end up with DOUBLE the bitterness that you were expecting if you don't pay attention.

I was thinking hops utilization would be higher because there is less LME in the mix. I think I know where to find the calculator for that.

Of course I know to take out the steeping grains before boiling, but thanks anyway you never know.

I was saying it would be faster and easier because once I got to the first boil it would be time to add hops. No need to add LME at that point and get back to a boil. Even if I only added 1/3 at that time it would get back to a boil a little faster, so it does seem just a little easier and faster to me.

Ok, at the risk of getting slammed here, you don't actually need to "boil" the LME, just maintain it above 180º for 5-10mins. Since I do mostly PMs or at least steep grains, I do a boil with only those fermentables. I do a 60 min boil with whatever hops additions I'm doing, which I end up using slightly less due to the lower SG. After the 60min boil, I add the extract, turn off the fire and let it sit for 10 mins. By the time the 10 mins is over, the temp is usually still above 180º. My 2¢.

Brewing Clamper said:
Ok, at the risk of getting slammed here, you don't actually need to "boil" the LME, just maintain it above 180º for 5-10mins. Since I do mostly PMs or at least steep grains, I do a boil with only those fermentables. I do a 60 min boil with whatever hops additions I'm doing, which I end up using slightly less due to the lower SG. After the 60min boil, I add the extract, turn off the fire and let it sit for 10 mins. By the time the 10 mins is over, the temp is usually still above 180º. My 2¢.
That brings new meaning to late extract addition ;)

Sounds like it ought to be fine if sanitation is all you're concerned with. To me, not boiling the extract at all seems like an issue - the fact that there is a hot break when you boil extract signifies that there is some appreciable change that it undergoes (coagulated proteins, etc) during the boil, even a short boil, that you will miss out on if you aren't boiling it at all. Having never tried it, I can't say whether that's detrimental or not, but from the sounds of it, I take it you've had good luck doing so. I'd give it a shot if I was still doing extract brews...

Just remember that SOME extract has to be added for the 60 minute boil (or your wort from a PM).

boiling hops in straight water won't extract/isomerize the bittering acids.

would this be ok....Steep grains in 2 1/2 gal of water then add water to make 5 gal.... bring to boil....start with first hops boil for 45 min then add LME.

Back