Competing with keg-to-bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
can i fill a bottle with my carbonated, kegged beer and then cap it and enter it in a competition? there is a 7 day lag period between the cut-off date for entries and the tasting day. it would be flat by then, wouldn't it?

The beer will not go flat if your caps are good. Once sealed there is no where for the co2 to go.

I enter beer that way all the time.

The easiest way is to vent the keg and push the beer with about 2-3 psi so it does not foam. Cold bottles help to keep the beer from foaming also.

Use a clean and sanitized picnic tap with your bottling wand pressed into the end of it and fill the bottles.

If you really want to be anal about it you can blow some c02 into each bottle before filling.

I also do this all the time. Search "we don't need no stinkin beer gun" or even "beer gun". I've had beers bottled from kegs over a year old and no issues.

sweet! i am going to enter my Dismal Stout in the Hampton Beer Blitz competition. this will be my first, but i am confident that they will love my stout. it is my oldest recipe.

Back