Belgian Tripel Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodnetso

Reaction score
I just brewed a Belgian Tripel from Midwest Supply on Tuesday, all went well. Begining to see signs of fermentation took a little longer than expected, but I guess this is a big beer. I used the Whit labs liquid belgian yeast. Anyway, how long should I primary-secondary-bottle condition???
I assume I should primary untill fermentation is finished( 7-10 days).Then rack to secondary. How long should I secondary??? Bottle condition for 3 months? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

Give it a little longer in primary, shoot for 3 weeks. Secondary for 3 weeks to 2 months. Bottle condition for 3 months minimum.

I've got one I bottled 1 month ago and I tried a test bottle yesterday. It's nicely carbed (which can often take much longer with tripels) but needs more time for the alcohol flavor to blend into the beer.

Thanks for that advise. Now I have another question. I was having trouble maintaining fermentation temperatures. The weather here is getting colder and I read that the yeast I am using (White LabsWLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast) likes the temp a little on the warm side, between 68-78. @ 68 I had little action taking place so I decided to set up a portable heater and enclose my carboy to bring up the ambiant temp, it worked well for two days, cycling the heater on and off.
Last night I went to sleep and forgot to turn the heater off. This morning I had absolutly no activity and the wort was warm to the touch of the carboy, probably 90 or so. Did I kill my beer??? Can I pitch more yeast to fix it??? Any advise would be appreciated.
I need to work on a fermentation chamber with temp control very soon!!! Weather in Jersey changes too often to not have it.

Pretty sure you didn't kill it, but you might get some funky flavors (think fruity banana). Someone with more experience will likely reply with better details.

My first beer was a tripel and I fermented way too warm - low 80s - I don't think it will ever improve, but it isn't bad after a few beers from later batches that I did correctly.

Good luck.

90 will not kill the yeast. Might have done a great job at finishing off the fermentation. Take a gravity sample to see. I usually run that yeast around 75 and push it to close to 85 F to finish it off. Don't worry about off flavors or fusels if it got off to a reasonable start at the lower temperature.

If it has reached FG, leave it to condition at room temperature in the primary for a while.

90 will not kill the yeast. Might have done a great job at finishing off the fermentation. Take a gravity sample to see. I usually run that yeast around 75 and push it to close to 85 F to finish it off. Don't worry about off flavors or fusels if it got off to a reasonable start at the lower temperature.

If it has reached FG, leave it to condition at room temperature in the primary for a while.

I second this. Solid advice. I think the timeline of almost 6 months is a little on the long side though..

Back