Single-tier layout - Right to left or left to right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valkyrie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to finalize layout of my single-tier brew structure and start drilling. Before I do, I'm looking for another piece of advice. Do most of you choose to move the beer left-to-right or right-to-left? In other words, do you have the HLT on the right and BK on the left, or vice-versa? My control panel is going to be on the right if that helps.

As I'm going for a variation on the B3 system, I'm thinking left-to-right (HLT on right) is the way to go, but before I start drilling kettles, I thought I'd ask for input here. Is there a reason why the HLT on the left may be better?

Thanks! Cheers.

IMG_0171 (Medium).jpg

From all I've seen first hand, and the rigs I've seen here, it's a rare build that goes left to right. I have no idea why that is the case, it just is.

And, fwiw, my single tier will run right to left as well...

Cheers!

I'm right handed, which means it's easier to operate a pump that is slightly to my right. So I have my HLT on the left, the MLT in the middle, and the BK on the right, with a pump below the MLT and one below the MLT. When I pump from the HLT to the MLT, I use the pump under the MLT as I stand in the front. When I pump from the MLT into the BK, I stand between them and turn the pump handle there. My control panel is on the far left, out of the way but where I can flip a switch to either pump when I need to.

I could easily go the other way, of course. But it's really easy for me the way I have it set up.

Interesting, it seems consensus here is to go right-to-left. Anyone know why most of the commerical systems (B3, Sabco, Synergy, etc.) set up left-to-right? The infamous Electric Brewery seems set up left-to-right, too. But, you guys are right, most homebrew systems and a few other places (Ruby, Keggle Brewing) seem to go the other way. Hmm....now, I'm being indecisive again. ;)

If this is a setup with pumps, it seems to me it wouldn't matter, so long as you make sure your levers, switches, dials, etc are laid out to be operated by your dominant hand.

I would think it depends on where it is going to sit... if you need to have more room on the right to work then... Left to right? I dunno I guess I never thought of it but when I brew I go right to left :D But then I have more work area to the left.

I have HLT left, MT middle and BK right. It obviously doesn't matter which way you do it. Completely personal preference. I would just think about where your water will come in, main gas tank, where you will transfer to the fermenter at and then base all decisions on that.

Thanks, all. Good thoughts, and I think I'm good going with the left-to-right, as my control panel will be right (dominant hand too). Thanks for the input, all.

My three tier goes left to right but that just because of where it is in my garage. I wanted the brew kettle with it's 100K burner out side and I knew with wall it was going to be on so that decision was made for me. Now that I'm all electric it doesn't matter much.

Latest posts

Back