First Cheese - AHS Mozz. and a ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Well, I decided to give cheesemaking a whirl. I picked up the AHS Mozzeralla kit. I got the milk from WHole Foods...Farmers Fresh Brand I think. It was non-homogenized, low-temp pasturized.

In any case, it was easy and the cheese was fantastic. My only question is the texture. I was expecting it to be like the "fresh mozzarella" we buy at the store, which is more grainy, soft and watery (packed in the whey?). This had a great flavor, but was more creamy/firm/dry in the texture. Was this due to all of the folding? I folded the crap out of it per the instructions.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not upset with the result, it was just different that what I expected. I don't know cheese like I do beer.

-Todd

If you want a softer cheese you can try lowering the temperature you heat the curd to a few degrees after cutting and/or stirring less. Another option is removing less whey before folding.

Back