Styrian Goldings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birvine

Reaction score
Anyone in Canada have a lead on SG hop rhizomes? Furthermore, if someone has a really good trained sense of smell and taste, are Fuggles and SG somewhat similar or really close in flavour and aroma? In a perfect world I would like to have my own SG hops in the garden since I have found I like them in my brews.

B

all the information i've ever seen states that they (fuggle/styrians) are one in the same. the character of the hops differ due to where they're grown so even if you did manage to find styrian cuttings, they may not give the same character you are used to due to them being grown in canada.

They are indeed the same clone, according to the USDA references below. I don't know why Fuggles grown in the former Yugoslavia are called Styrian Goldings. The USDA just calls them Styrian, without the Goldings part.

http://www.freshops.com/hops/usda-named-hop-variety-descriptions#usda_id_TopOfPage

Goldings are a different variety, usually with that name prefaced by the name of the area of their growth, whether that be East Kent, West Kent, Yakima, or wherever.

The old saying is that beer is made, and wine is born. That's based on the effect of soil & climate on the grapes. There is some of this for hops, too. You'll probably get some "born in Cochrane" character in whatever hops you grow. However, variety still matters, and of course you have hops addition timing, malt choices, yeast choices, mashing temps, & plenty of variables to influence the beer you craft. It could be fun to try matching brews with the only difference being locally grown Fuggles versus Styrian. Gordon Strong might know the difference; I doubt I would.

Do they grow well there?

Summer 2010 was year 2 for my Cascade, Willamette and Nugget vines. I got lots - in fact I am a bit worried that I'll have to chop back the plants this coming summer. Our soil is good here and our summers are perfect for growing hops.

B

please don't be afraid to cut back the crown. if they are well established as you say, the third year is a perfect time to start keeping them in check. if you don't, you can end up with a vegetative nightmare on your hands. just take a spade and knife down into the soil about a foot out from the crown. as you do this all the way around the crown, throw the soil away from the crown and you'll see any rhizomes that were trying to creep outward. use these for cuttings for friends or let them dry up very well before tossing them in the compost.

goldings are fuggle are the same strain, just very slightly different taste. i'll interchange them in my recipes, depending on what i have in stock

Back