6lbs of confectioners sugar??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icewalker

Reaction score
So I have just been given 6lbs of confectioners sugar. Is there anything I can do with this stuff (apart from decorate a very large cake)?

Would this substitute for a ferment able sugar in say a Belgian ale?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

I'd say you're better off with the cake. I think it contains corn starch, and I'm not sure what affect it would have on a brew, additional haze or maybe unfermentable?

It does contain cornstarch. Confectioner's sugar is not a substitute for regular sugars.

I'd say you're better off with the cake. I think it contains corn starch, and I'm not sure what affect it would have on a brew, additional haze or maybe unfermentable?

Thanks :) Guess I'll be handing it off to some budding cake maker :D

It'd be an interesting experiment to actually throw it in a mash with some 2-row barley. The enzymes in the malt should in theory convert the corn starch into fermentable sugars. I'm not what else is in the sugar, but I bet at the end of the day you might have something drinkable.

Back