Like a donkey doing calculus.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Heya!

So here I am as a newbie to brewing with questions im sure you have all heard before. I just started brewing my own beer with what im sure is the at most basic approach ( no 2nd ferementer, etc.) and im about 90% sure that the beer wont come out right. My American Style Pale Ale has had a few bumps in the road of its creation:

Too much time spent heating the grains (took almost 45 minutes to reach about 170 F);

Possible contamination due to accidental drops of foreign liquid (No-Rinse Cleaner, etc) in the Primary fermenter;

Forgot to stir in yeast! It just sat sprinkled on top of the batch before closing the lid for primary fermentation! :( :( ;

Stopped bubbling after just 2-3 days (bad?);

Temperature was never kept at constant of 70 F, instead, varied between 68-72 and even hit a low of 66 F at one point :(

.....I have not tasted the beer yet as it is aging and im cautiously optomistic. Any comments or advice for this, or my future batches?

Thanks everyone!

Cheers :mug:

sounds like everything is coming along fine!

no worries about the grains coming to 170F, as long as you took them out after you got to that temperature. I'm assuming you are just steeping and using extract?

no-rinse sanitizer will not hurt your beer, especially in small quantities. i wouldn't worry about it.

don't worry about stirring in the yeast...they will find a way. you may wish to rehydrate your dry yeast next time.

most beers, especially smaller ones, will finish fermenting in just a few days....let it sit AT LEAST two weeks if you are just staying in the primary. i'd probably go 3 weeks then straight to bottles.

RDWHAHB...you've made beer! let us know how it tastes in a couple of weeks when you get it bottled :mug:

Oh no......

Did you mean that I should have left the beer in the primary, even after it stopped fermenting, for 3 weeks???? My instructions said to bottle the beer after the airlock stopped bubbling, and thats what I did! Should I move the beer to a bomb shelter!?!? haha, let me know someone asap!!!!

Thanks,

Cheers:mug:

How long in total was in in the fermenter? How many days after the airlock stopped bubbling did you bottle it?

If you bottle before fermentation is finished, there is a potential for bottle bombs. It depends on whether or not is was finished. Next time leave it 2-3 weeks and the potential will be almost nil. Also, the longer it sits in the fermenter, the clearer your beer will be and you won't have as much sediment in the bottles.

assuming your fermentation was indeed finished, just let those bottles sit for 3 weeks or so and you'll probably be fine.

if you are just using a primary, i would always go 3 weeks in the vessel and 3+ weeks in the bottles. it allows the beer to clear and condition.

invest in an hydrometer, definitely don't bottle before it's finished or you WILL get bottle bombs.

I believe it was done fermenting....I sat and watched for any hint of bubbling for like 5 minutes and there was absolutely nothing. Im going to move all my clothes out of my closet and shut the door just in case, haha. Thanks for the great advice!

EamusCatuli said:
I believe it was done fermenting....I sat and watched for any hint of bubbling for like 5 minutes and there was absolutely nothing. Im going to move all my clothes out of my closet and shut the door just in case, haha. Thanks for the great advice!

It sounds to me like fermentation was complete. Have you tried one yet? Cool one down and give it a try. If it is way over carbed then you may want to open the remaining beers and re cap them. I wouldn't wait for bottle bombs. Very messy and potentially dangerous. I'm betting that they are fine.

Alright, ill just throw one in the fridge and see how it is! Any excuse to pop one of these open is fine with me, lol. Just wondering, If the beer doesnt taste exactly to par, would this possibly be due to the fact that im opening it up 2 weeks early? Thanks for the help guys! I guess i should be more thankful that it did'nt go too bad my first time, lol.

Cheers :)

Just to let everyone know, I tried the beer and I am PUMPED!!! With a couple more weeks and bit more carbonation, this beer will be perfect :) Thanks for all the help guys, I am officially addicted to brewing beer!

Cheers! :mug:

EamusCatuli said:
Just to let everyone know, I tried the beer and I am PUMPED!!! With a couple more weeks and bit more carbonation, this beer will be perfect :) Thanks for all the help guys, I am officially addicted to brewing beer!

Cheers! :mug:

Now that you are addicted, buy a hydrometer, and learn how to use it, then you will know when your beer is done fermenting, FOR CERTAIN...

Latest posts

Back