Lager Hasn't Started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1rubin

Reaction score
Good Evening All,

So i spent all day on saturday brewing a pilsner urquell clone - even did a triple decoction. This is my first lager. I started the starter on tuesday with 1 liter on a stir plate, let it ferment, then added two more liters. After that, the star blew all over the place for a solid day. I cooled the wort down to 44, aerated with pure O2 and pitched the yeast on Sunday morning. So here it is Tuesday night and i don't see a krauzen. Should i be worrying? Could the starter blow off be the problem? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

I brewed one up sunday. No decoction here tho - maybe next time.

You should still have a ton of yeast. Yes, the krausen contains a lot of yeast, but not all of it. You should raise the temp up to 50. If you used the urquell yeast, it is not expected to be active at 44F.

(fyi, I split a 10g batch between the Wyeast Urquell yeast and W34/70 (dry). I'm going to test the same beer with some other yeasts in a couple weeks. Must perfect this recipe!

thanks i agree need to perfect this - i went to prague this summer and went to the factory in pilzen where we had a glass out of the old lager barrels. The beer was awesome. I raised the temp to 50 - hopefully that will work. thanks for the input.

It took 2 days for mine to start using s-23 @50-5.It was my first lager and bottem fermenting didnt know i would see anything on top but i got the foam and typical signs. I just hydrated also.

Back