Blow-off tube + evaporation = oxidization???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently fermenting two batches of mead, which are in the primary with blowoff tubes. I was away from the house for a month. I did not anticipate the evaporation of water from the jars acting as my airlock, and came home to find the tubes hanging in air (the tips were no longer submerged).

I know that CO2 is heavier than O2, but I'm concerned that due to air circulation, oxygen may have entered the tubes and displaced CO2 from the headspace in my demijohns. I will rack and top-up the mead ASAP as a precaution, just wondering what the likelihood of this having occured is...

Thanks for the input,

Delaney

There could have been SOME O2 that made it's way up to tube and into the demijohns, but the amount would be so low I wouldn't remotely worry about it. I'm sure I've introduced more O2 than that to batches of beer by pulling the lids of buckets off for tests and I've never had a single issue.

Back