High gravity Swissbuster ZZz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerBraumeister

Reaction score
Hello

I would like to ask about advice regarding a beer I would like to brew.

Many of my Swiss friends will only have one or two beers. So I was toying with the idea of making a quite potent beer which would have to appear normal. Silent but deadly, if you will.

Here is what I have come up with

6 gallon batch

11 lb. Pilsener
6.6 lb. Wienna
2.2 lb Malted Wheat (for foam and cloudiness)
0.8 lb. Caramunich 34L

Hops:
Bittering: 25g of Hallertauer Perle 10% (90 min) 23 IBU
Flavor: 40 g of Tettnanger 4.1% (30 min) 10 IBU
Aroma: 35 g of Hallertauer Hersbrucker 2% (FWH) 4 IBU

So this should give me a OG of around 1.080 (with 65% brew house yield) and 37 IBUs.

I would be using 2x 11.5g packets of US05 and mashing low, at 147°F. I suppose I should be able to achieve 75-80% attenuation, that way it should be able to finish at 1.018 or so. That would give me a 8% ABV. I can ferment at rock steady 68°F.

So how does this sound?

Do I need more hops to mask the alcohol flavour out?

IMHO the best way to "mask alcohol flavor" is to ferment it low and slow (lower than 68, more like around 60) with a very clean yeast like s-05, then age it for quite some time, like around 6 months or so.

On the other hand, you can go all funky with it and ferment with a fruity Belgian yeast, but still age it.

Back