B.I.T.O.A. wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotodogboy

Reaction score
Anyone ever heard of or used a B.I.T.O.A. wort chiller (Brewing is the only answer wort chiller) made in Seattle, WA. I can buy one used and want to switch from a immersion wort chiller to a counter flow or plate. This one has a PVC tube that houses a copper coil. Has a thermometer to monitor the wort.Here is a page that describes it. Scroll down to the section on wort chillers. There is a diagram that shows the unit. Thanks in advance for any help.

BT - Brewers' Wish Lists

Sounds pretty cool if it works. It would be interesting to see if just a copper coil inside a 15"x4" tube really has the surface area to chill wort that quickly though since your approaching therminator specs and a plate chiller like that has a ton of surface area.

Seems like it would be easy enough to make one out of some copper tubing and drain piping, I actually wish I had saved some of my copper to put one a smaller one of these on the whirlpool immersion chiller I am making.

If you can get it for a good price and it doesn't leak, I'd say go for it. 12-15 minutes is kinda slow for a counterflow chiller though....
I know I actually had to back off on my chiller today while brewing....the wort came out at 50F and I had to slow the water down. I'm in Chicago with cold tap water, though. With a CFC, you should only be limited by how fast you can drain your kettle. You can always use icewater if your ground water is warm. 6 gallons takes about 10 minutes through a 1/2" ball valve.

You might just look into a Shirron. Very affordable, compact, and chills instantaneously.

The guy wants $40.00 for it. Isn't the Shiron $200.00. Live in Seattle, cold water is not a problem. Thanks for the info.

Shirron is about $70 IIRC. It's a plate chiller though. Some people swear by them. The therminator is $200. I'd say buy it...you won't get anything cheaper than that. Especially if it has a thermometer. You could easily mount that in a rig if you decide to build one.....

Latest posts

Back