Tubing size for blow-off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkeb74

Reaction score
Fermenting my first brew, just had my first airlock rocket!!....What size tubing do you use to attach a blow off to the airlock? Would like to throw one on until the fermenting slows down in case this happens while i'm at work.

Re-sanitized the airlock and threw it back on the stopper, lost quite a bit of liquid. This going to cause any issues with fermentation?

Thanks folks :tank:

Depending how vigorous your fermentation is, you might just be better off removing the cap, and just jamming the tube straight into the neck of the carboy. Without having your carboy infront of me, I can't say what size you need. But I believe they're relatively universalyl sized. My guess is around 1" ID or 1 1/8" OD. It's cheap at Home Depot. Run the end of the tube submerged in a bucket of water (same concept of an airlock).

1" ID is probably plenty good I personally wouldn't use any smaller than 1" but I am sure many others have used smaller.

-=Jason=-

When I first realized i needed a blowoff tube i replaced the airlock with a 3/8" diameter tube pushed into the stopper hole. Then when i had a chance i took a carboy into the hardware store to find the perfect sized tube that fit perfectly into the carboy neck. I'm thinking it was 1 1/4" outer diameter. You could take a stopper to the hardware store in a pinch I imagine, or even take a really good measurement with a tape measure.

My first wheat beer had a plugged airlock. I bought 6 ft of 1 3/4 " pvc tubing from McMaster-Carr. This fits inside the carboy neck. Or the I.D. of the tubing, 1 1/4", fits a 3/4" pipe coupling that goes into a grommet on a pail type fermenter. A small airlock bung will fit in the pipe coupling. :)

Latest posts

Back