How to polish a SS brewstand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghart999

Reaction score
So I am building a SS single-tier brew stand. I am not doing the welding, a friend will be doing it who knows his stuff. Will be using a tig welder, etc. I want to do my best to blend in the welds and make it look nice. I don't need to mirror finish that people do with the keggles. Mainly I do want to see any of the welds at all and make the steel look polished to a shine I guess. I have a 4.5" angle grinder and all. Any recommendations would be appreciated including tips on the welding to assist with making cleanup easier.

Thanks all.

If you use your angle grinder put a soft backing pad on it so you dont grind any big grooves and low spots Start with 80 grit and keep going up in grit until you like it or are tired of grinding...Pat
img140291fo8.jpg

So no need for polishing pads unless I want it to look like yours? Also what should I use to grind down the welds initially? The same 80 grit pads or should I use the flapper type things that use actual sandpaper?

Flappers work nice but be careful they remove a lot of material fast so keep it as flat a possible. I clean mine with a scotch brite pad so it polishes it every time I brew. What's the thickness of your tubing this is 1/8th wall it gives you some leeway for grinding?

Pat

Latest posts

Back