Beer disaster!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46andbrew

Reaction score
So here's my story

My buddy and I have been brewing for about 1 year together. He has been doing about 2 years longer and got me into it. Now I hope some can top this it will make me feel better but my buddy just has a bad accident.

I was at his place bottling my ipa and after that he transferred his old Rasputin clone. When he was bringing his secondary down to his basement I heard " f*** I just lost all my beer I just lost all my beer " so naturally I'm worried. So he comes up the stares holding his wrist saying " it's bad real bad ".

When he set his carboy down it broke slicing his wrist. I had to call the ambulance while his wife helped him cover the wound. His wrist had about a 2" cut write under his hand and he said " I can see the bone ". So they showed up and took him to the closest hospital and he is there now. This happened only about 1 hour ago. I'm still shook up. He has done this a hundred times before. So now I'm hopping he's ok and can still use his hand. So everyone BE CAREFUL with those carboys because my buddy always is and this was a freak accident!!

Sorry about your friend. I hope he recovers fully and quickly.

This is just one more example of why I'm too chicken to own glass carboys.

46andbrew said:
So here's my story My buddy and I have been brewing for about 1 year together. He has been doing about 2 years longer and got me into it. Now I hope some can top this it will make me feel better but my buddy just has a bad accident. I was at his place bottling my ipa and after that he transferred his old Rasputin clone. When he was bringing his secondary down to his basement I heard " f*** I just lost all my beer I just lost all my beer " so naturally I'm worried. So he comes up the stares holding his wrist saying " it's bad real bad ". When he set his carboy down it broke slicing his wrist. I had to call the ambulance while his wife helped him cover the wound. His wrist had about a 2" cut write under his hand and he said " I can see the bone ". So they showed up and took him to the closest hospital and he is there now. This happened only about 1 hour ago. I'm still shook up. He has done this a hundred times before. So now I'm hopping he's ok and can still use his hand. So everyone BE CAREFUL with those carboys because my buddy always is and this was a freak accident!!

Wow! Sorry to hear this, thoughts are with your friend...

Sorry to hear about your friend - I don't have any glass over 1 gal - heavy and risky.

Glass carboys are fickle. They can behave forever then decide one day to fail. I hope your buddy recovers 100% and is not in pain.

I did something like that with my right foot's big toe. Cut the tendon down to the bone. It was stiff & didn't move normally for some time. Better now. no glass for me. buckets & better bottles.

Hope your friend recovers quickly. I have one 5 gallon glass carboy that I use for secondary and dry hopping and I use a brew hauler for that one. No way I'm gonna carry that thing by the glass. Gotta have the handles.

Really sucks. You should look up "beer it forward" thread...he would be a great candidate for this.

Terrible accident. Hope your friend makes a full and speedy recovery. Once you're sure he's better I would gift him a couple 6-gallon better bottles.

Well my buddy is in surgery now he can it feel his pinky but has movement with all of them. We were going to brew Friday but I figured he would not be up to it. I was Wrong. He is full bore ahead but he will probably postpone his batch and we will just do mine. Crazy though!

Darwin18 said:
Terrible accident. Hope your friend makes a full and speedy recovery. Once you're sure he's better I would gift him a couple 6-gallon better bottles.

Ya that's a good idea also I'm going to get him some old Rasputin to help heal the lost beer wound as well

Wow, that's terrible. your buddy is a trooper though. the first thing he hollered was "I lost my beer"!

46andbrew said:
So here's my story My buddy and I have been brewing for about 1 year together. He has been doing about 2 years longer and got me into it. Now I hope some can top this it will make me feel better but my buddy just has a bad accident. I was at his place bottling my ipa and after that he transferred his old Rasputin clone. When he was bringing his secondary down to his basement I heard " f*** I just lost all my beer I just lost all my beer " so naturally I'm worried. So he comes up the stares holding his wrist saying " it's bad real bad ". When he set his carboy down it broke slicing his wrist. I had to call the ambulance while his wife helped him cover the wound. His wrist had about a 2" cut write under his hand and he said " I can see the bone ". So they showed up and took him to the closest hospital and he is there now. This happened only about 1 hour ago. I'm still shook up. He has done this a hundred times before. So now I'm hopping he's ok and can still use his hand. So everyone BE CAREFUL with those carboys because my buddy always is and this was a freak accident!!
First, along with everyone else I hope your brew buddy recovers well. At least he wasn't alone!
Second, another vote for Better Bottles!

Back