Imperial IPA - 3rd Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolves63

Reaction score
So I am brewing the Dual Spires this weekend, but I am trying to figure out what I am doing for my 3rd batch ahead of time so that I can get an opinion on it and see what you guys think.

Extracts:
1.00 tsp Gypsum
4 lbs Brown Rice Syrup
2 lbs Candi Sugar, Clear
1 lbs Candi Sugar, Amber
4 lbs Sorghum Liquid Extract

Hops:
2.00 oz Bravo
1.00 oz Bullion
1.00 oz Sun
1.00 oz Sterling
4.00 oz Bramling Cross

Misc:
1.00 tsp Irish Moss
8.00 oz Malto-Dextrine
1.0 pkg SafAle S-04
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient

It will be a 60 minute boil:
0 min - Add Ingredients
4 lbs - Brown Rice Syrup
2 lbs - Simplicity Candi Syrup
1 lbs - D-90 Candi Syrup
2.00 oz - Bravo

15 min - Add Ingredients
1.00 oz - Bullion

30 min - Add Ingredients
1.00 oz - Sun

45 min - Add Ingredients
1.00 oz - Sterling

50 min - Add Ingredients
1.00 tsp - Irish Moss

55 min - Add Ingredients
8.00 oz - Malto-Dextrine

1:00 hour - End of Boil

Then dry hop the 4.00 oz Bramling Cross.

Tell me what you guys think. I will be brewing somehting close to this in January, so I have a little bit of time before hand.

As is suggested elsewhere in the GF forum, I'd suggest adding the sorghum towards the end of the boil to eliminate off flavors. Otherwise, the malt portion of your brew looks good. If you like to add a little more malt flavor and sweetness, you could substitute one pound of the clear candi sugar for 13-14 oz of buckwheat honey, which I'd add near flameout. As for the hops, I've had good luck with hop-bursting– adding a large amount of hops in the last twenty minutes. There's nothing wrong with your hop schedule, but this is just a suggestion to add a huge amount of aroma and flavor without harsh bitterness.

Missed putting it in at flameout. That was what I was thinking.

I would like a little malt flavor but do not like buckwheat any other suggestions.

Not buckwheat but buckwheat honey. It tastes nothing like the grain buckwheat. I know the grain imparts a unique, strong flavor. Instead, the honey provides a nice malt backbone when used in the right quantity, 13-14 oz per 5 gallon batch. You could try some very lightly roasted malted quinoa or millet. To get any real flavor a 5 gallon batch, you'd need ~5 lbs of the malted grains. You could also try mashing some chestnut chips. These last two suggestions require a significant amount of work. And from the looks of it, you are doing extract, hence my suggestion for buckwheat honey.

In terms of the fermentables, I agree with mloster on the buckwheat honey and the sorghum (or at least a portion of the fermentables) at flame out. I put your recipe into BrewTarget and as for the hop additions, 2oz of Bravo at 60 minutes puts the IBUs thru the roof, especially if you decide to add the sorghum at flame out. I am a hop lover, but at ~110 IBU (and that's with only with the Bravo) you may want to reconsider to the hop schedule and quantities.

I would use 6-7% sugar total for this recipe. Not 12-25%. Boost the rice or sorghum if you need to.

The hop selections sound awful to me. Not very IPA-ish at all. And the hops schedule is confusing. You're using way too much Bravo at 60 for the typical 5-6 gallon batch.

Follow a simple 60/15/7/0/DH Schedule.

8 oz. total hops. - And choose better hops from the American Pacific Northwest.

Latest posts

Back