Herb Hydromel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brann_mac_Finnchad

Reaction score
I'm contemplating starting an herbed hydromel (weak mead) sometime soon and using rosemary, juniper (berries), and bay leaves for flavouring. My proposed recipe is below. Let me know what you think--and any name suggestions...

1-1.25 pounds honey
Nottingham brewers yeast (looking at using this because I'm starting a cider that'll use it, and think a brewing yeast as opposed to a wine yeast would be appropriate)
2-3 sprigs of fresh rosemary
6 fresh bay leaves
6-8 juniper berries cracked.

I am planning on adding the flavourings so that they can easily be removed--or do you think I should make a tisane with them?

edited to add: I am aiming for 5-6% ABV, which is what that amount of honey should give me.

If you like those flavors go for it; however, I would make a tisane and use that as your base water. Then when time to rack to secondary I would add juice from a couple of lemons and zest them too. I think the herbal/piney type flavors would go well with that.

I do like the lemon in the secondary idea, and may just use it. Only one lemon though, I don't want it to overpower.

I started it this afternoon.

Black Lagoon Hydromel
12 dried juniper berries
10 fresh bay leaves (cracked)
3 (small) sprigs of fresh rosemary
1.25-1.5 pounds honey

I made a tisane with herbs by boiling for about 15 minutes then letting it steep for about an hour and a quarter. At the beginning it was a nice, pale green, after steeping it was a beautiful cranberry red, and when I added the honey it turned grey. I'm thinking there may be some chemical reaction going on there.

Water to 1 gallon.
Pitched ½ tsp Nottingham brewers yeast.

OG is 1.039

So, this is now in the secondary, and since the last post has gone through several colours before ending at a pale straw.
SG is 1.008, and the taste is....interesting. None of the flavours come through to the front--which is what I wanted. I also added about 1 Tbsp of lemon juice, which probably did nothing, but I didn't have any zest/lemons on hand.

I finally bottled this today. I am unsure what the FG is, but it's probably somewhere around 1.0 even. The flavour is light, refreshing, and surprisingly tart--reminding me of a properly made lemonaid (i.e. not particularly sweet). :mug:

Back