Salvage Overcarbed Cider Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pratzie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any way to do it? I was keeing an eye on the plastic bottles and nothing was happening the first three days and then bang on the fouth I had a gusher. Is it possible to pop the caps and then recap and then pasteurize without having bottle bombs? Maybe cold crash it first?

Looking for any and all input and advice. :drunk:

Yes, I put the bottles in a plastic bowl, covered the neck with another plastic tub, reached under the tub and popped the top, let it all gush up to the tub and back down into the bowl, poured the bowl contents back into the bottle, recapped. It was still petillant, but not highly carbonated.

No sorry I should have specified. Glass bottles, the plastic bottles were to test the carbonation... When they get rock solid they should all be primed. The one glass bottle I opened when the plastic ones got hard foamed over. Not a crazy gusher but def excessive.

You don't want to try to pasteurize them then, at least not in this state. If you did, the bottles would be under ever more pressure and would explode. You could try to refrigerate them, or else do what you said and open them and recap.

Pratzie said:
would it be ok to pasteurize afterwards? Im gonna be trying the stovetop method

I tried this and my bottle caps swelled up and looked like they were about to burst off.

Latest posts

Back