prime & carb tab?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bc23

Reaction score
Is there anything wrong with using the priming sugar AND dropping a carb tab in each bottle?

I feel like my last two batches were undercarb'd...for the record, by "last two" that also means my first two batches

Thanks very much

if you're measuring your priming sugar correctly, then you shouldn't need anything extra. the carb tab is nothing but compressed sugar.

Adding priming sugar to hot or boiling water will dislove the sugar. If you are under carbed then use more sugar at bottling. There are charts online for figuring out how much sugar for what volume of CO2 you want for the style of beer you are making.

I just don't see how carb tabs can disolve completely without heat.

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
I just don't see how carb tabs can disolve completely without heat.
They do.... eventually. But it takes a lot longer than plain old dextrose or corn sugar dissolved in boiling water. Thus, carbonation also tastes longer.

If you are working with priming sugar (e.g., dextrose) anyways, don't bother with the tablets. Just increase the amount of sugar you are using. It will mean quicker carbonation, and it will be a lot cheaper.

The first question is how much priming sugar you used on the first two batches. Second question is how long you waited before drinking them all.

Back