Remove DMS from wild starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkmuncher

Reaction score
I was able to capture some wild yeast on petri dishes of DME and gelatin. For the past few weeks I have been growing my starter, which is now ~1/2 gal. Yeast seems to be healthy and tastes fine so far, however I have a really strong creamed corn DMS smell. Is there anything I should/can do to get rid of that before I attempt to pitch this into a real batch. I have learned the importance of boiling for 60 min. and will make sure to do so next time, but can I save this yeast?

CIMG0226.jpg

I initially though that since the smell was in my 16 oz starter, however, it was also really strong in my 1/2 gallon starter before pitching the yeast leading me to believe its the wort. It is possible that the wort was infected beforehand and also possible that it is the yeast. Just looking for ways to save it if it is just the wort.

was the starter wort DME? if so the DMS is from the wild culture you have and not DMS

if its not DME, what malts did you use to make the wort?

Good News Everyone! Apparently patience will make the DMS go away! 2 days later and the smells is pretty much completely gone. Time to try it with a real beer!

Back