Another broken auto-siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qhrumphf

Stay Rude, Stay Rebel, Stay SHARP
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm cleaning all my racking equipment prior to bottling. And lo and behold the top of the cane snaps off, giving me a nice little slice in my finger in the process. And of course, the LHBS is closed, and my other auto-siphon is for Brett (gave it PBW and then StarSan immediately after last use, but I'd rather not risk it). I'd just put off bottling until I can get another one in a couple days, but I really need to get this IPA bottled today before the dry hops start getting vegetal. :mad:

Oh well. I got a year and half of use out of it, and I still have my old racking cane. Not looking forward to manually starting a siphon.

Rant over.

Don't have a turkey baster. Went with the water and clamp method. But it's done. Was going to bottle my Irish Red today too, but I'll wait until I can hit the LHBS on Tuesday.

If the cane broke while you were putting on or taking off vinyl tubing, then try this - get the large size autosiphon (1/2 inch) and use 3/8 inch silicone tubing to attach to the cane. It slips on and off easily, but still forms a good airtight seal without needing a hose clamp, plus it can be sanitized by boiling so you don't have to wonder if your sanitizer really got all the nasties inside.

Latest posts

Back