Need help with grains, hops and yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
I would like to get a large amount of grains, hops and yeast so I can brew just about anytime I want. I want help with this too. I would like to know how to store grains and how long they last. Also what is the best way to store hops? I would also like to know the best/common grains and hops to buy. I just want to be able to walk in my brew room and know that I can make a good beer 1 or 5gallons.
So if you can help guys that would be Awsome. I'm think g of getting like 50lb of grains each so just need your help

Most of these questions depend entirely on what you normally brew. Can you provide some details? The kinds of hops/grains/yeast you would want to have on hand to brew an IPA may be entirely different than what you'd want to brew belgians.

BlackGoat said:
Most of these questions depend entirely on what you normally brew. Can you provide some details? The kinds of hops/grains/yeast you would want to have on hand to brew an IPA may be entirely different than what you'd want to brew belgians.

I like IPAs, nut browns. I guess I just need to look at my recipes and decide from there. How so you suggest I store them?

I store my bulk grains in bins with a gasket seal - I bought them at a pet store, they are intended to store dry pet food. Hops should be stored in the freezer in airtight containers or bags. Yeast you can't really stock up on too much in advance because of viability issues, although you could pay attention to dry yeast packets printed expiration dates and keep a few on hand.

As mentioned above, what you'll want to buy in bulk depends on your brewing. Here's my current status:

55 lb bags of two row barley malt, wheat malt and Munich malt. 1/3rd of a 55 lb bag (split three ways) of Caramel 20L and 60L. 10 lb bags of roasted barley and chocolate malt.

Hops: Centennial, Amarillo, Mosaic, Bravo, Summit, Nelson Sauvin, Hallertauer, Citra, Mt. Ranier, East Kent Goldings and Challenger.

I've got a few packets of US-05 yeast, a packet of Windsor, and a vial of WLP028.

Pappers_ said:
I store my bulk grains in bins with a gasket seal - I bought them at a pet store, they are intended to store dry pet food. Hops should be stored in the freezer in airtight containers or bags. Yeast you can't really stock up on too much in advance because of viability issues, although you could pay attention to dry yeast packets printed expiration dates and keep a few on hand.

As mentioned above, what you'll want to buy in bulk depends on your brewing. Here's my current status:

55 lb bags of two row barley malt, wheat malt and Munich malt. 1/3rd of a 55 lb bag (split three ways) of Caramel 20L and 60L. 10 lb bags of roasted barley and chocolate malt.

Hops: Centennial, Amarillo, Mosaic, Bravo, Summit, Nelson Sauvin, Hallertauer, Citra, Mt. Ranier, East Kent Goldings and Challenger.

I've got a few packets of US-05 yeast, a packet of Windsor, and a vial of WLP028.

Very nice. I am looking at my recipes now to see what I might like to stock.

Back