Bought beer last week, best before date is 5 weeks from now...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatshowyougetants

Reaction score
I bought a 12-pack of Fat Tire at Meijer last week. I noticed the one I am drinking didn't taste quite right (although I find sometimes beers taste differently one time to another and it might just be me), so I checked out the best before date: 24FEB13. I'm surprised I bought it last week and the best before data is so soon... is this most likely old beer, or are best before dates always this soon?? :drunk:

n_c_n said:
I bought a 12-pack of Fat Tire at Meijer last week. I noticed the one I am drinking didn't taste quite right (although I find sometimes beers taste differently one time to another and it might just be me), so I checked out the best before date: 24FEB13. I'm surprised I bought it last week and the best before data is so soon... is this most likely old beer, or are best before dates always this soon?? :drunk:

If you are drinking a style that is typically known to be consumed fresh like IpAs, pales, lighter Belgians, etc, then yes, the brewery would prefer you consumed it sooner rather than later....

I would expect that from a super fresh IPA, but for Fat Tire I'm pretty sure you got some old product.

Breweries typically don't label specifically to the style of beer. For example, Sierra Nevada's Porter will have the same best before date as their Torpedo. But you probably got an old Fat Tire.

luke_d said:
Breweries typically don't label specifically to the style of beer. For example, Sierra Nevada's Porter will have the same best before date as their Torpedo. But you probably got an old Fat Tire.

Sierra Nevada does a Julian coding bottling date unless I'm mistaken. They leave it to you to decide what's fresh.

well buying from meijer's makes me think you got older beer

i dont see craft beer moving too quick at places like that (think walmart for those who dont know meijer)

Yeah I saw some Fat Tire at the local beer store today and the best before date was April 19, so it seems the beer I bought last week was 2 months older.

Latest posts

Back