Cedar log dimensions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizzo

Reaction score
I am starting a small hop garden this year with 6 varieties from arrowhead hops. I own 8 acres of field behind my house and I am going to use a small portion to set up my hop trellis.

My question is about the dimensions of the cedar trees that people use for the trellis. I understand that probably taller is better but what are the average top end and butt end dimensions of cedar poles that people use for their trellis. Should the top of the poles be greater then let's say 4 inches or so? I have access to a bunch of straight cedar trees that are still standing and I was anticipating having 16ft above ground and 3ft buried.

Good morning. Those dimensions sound good actually. It also has a lot to do with the spacing between them too. I am starting 30 plants this year here in NY as well and that was about the size I was planning on. I'm just using farm boy calculations though and my construction back ground so I have no engineering specific knowledge. For light poles you calculate about a quarter of the pole in the ground.

I use 20' 4x4 with 3-4 in the ground surrounded by basecourse so the water drains. Just remember to anchor the end of the cables well. I use 4" rebar with a loop welded on top to attach a turnbuckle. Has worked well for me over the last 5 yrs. Remember to note which way the wind comes from and try to aligh the trellis in that direction or you will have alot of stress on the trellis. I have some pics in my profile if you want to look. Good luck!

Back