Columbus hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrew2u

Reaction score
Just bought a pound of Columbus hops,I don't know why but they were really cheap does anyone have some recipe ideas,they would be much appreciated !!

I got some too. I don't like them as flavor or aroma but I will be using them for bittering. Just calculate out the IBUs for any recipe that you want to make.

i have columbus hops, and i agree. use them as bittering hops. they are too pungent for flavoring or aroma. they are great to bitter an english ipa or a special bitter. i also use them for other european beers meant to be bitter

Plenty of good American style IPAs and Pale Ales use Columbus for flavoring and aroma additions. It can be quite dank and piney which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I think it provides a nice counter not to a lot of the citrus heavy hops.

As others have mentioned, they work great for the bittering addition in any APA or IPA. Pick your favorite IPA grain base, use the Columbus for your bittering addition, and use your favorite citrus hops for your other additions.

I kind of like them.

I did an all Columbus CA Common, and it was quite nice. Restraint in the aroma/flavor additions is important, it is very easy to push them too far. Paired with Cascade or another hop and they really round out nicely.

I used some Columbus when fresh as flavoring addition. 6 months later, the exact same recipe, not so great. They were stored in the freezer, repackaged in freezer bags & tried to get all the air out. They must not store well?

I of course use them for bittering. I was going to buy Magnum for that purpose. But as ghack said pair them with other hops and they should make great contributions to flavor and aroma. I'd probably do 25/75 Columbus and whatever hop desired until you figure out the balance you like.

I need to convert an all grain recipe to a partial mash recipe for a RIS. Anyone know how much extract I would need to substitute for 17 lbs. of pale malt (2 Row) UK?

bigs said:
I need to convert an all grain recipe to a partial mash recipe for a RIS. Anyone know how much extract I would need to substitute for 17 lbs. of pale malt (2 Row) UK?

17 lbs of 2 row converted to dme = 10.2 the conversion is 17x.6 =10.2 dme
Or 17 x.75 for lme

I've got a pound - I'm going to do something single hop with them. If it tastes like s#$t I'll use the rest for bittering.

Greatly appreciate it...might as well start brewing it now~not much else to do when you're buried under a foot + of snow!:

Back