Bad Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostforatime

Reaction score
After 30 or so 5 gallon batches I have a bad one. I just bought 4 more 5 gallon cornies and they came in great shape. When I opened them they smelled of sanitizer. Because of this I rinsed them out then filled up with Iorerphor and water and let set for an hour. The beer tastes like the santizer they were shipped with. I dont know what to do and since I don't want to through it out, I put about an oz of hole hops in the cornie. Anyone see problems with that? If no how much hops can I add to try to mask the flavor?

If two ounces of Cascades doesn't cover it, it's hopeless. You might have to replace the o-rings.

I just discovered that i have ANOTHER bad batch.That's 2 batches in as many days gone bad,12gals!One was kegged,the other bottled.They taste like iodine or
something.We recently started using iodine as a sanitizer and i suspect our concentration was too high.We never had a bad batch using bleach to sanitize.
I hope the 3 other batches since don't ewnd up the same way.Any thoughts?
Cheers:mug:

What strength iodine are you using and what dilution are you using it?

I have 10% and dilute it to 1.25ml/L

So thats actually .125ml/1000ml or 0.0125%

It works as a no rinse solution and I have no issues.

I have never had a problem with ioderphor, my wife is a nurse and tells me she see's people all the time that are allergic to iodine. I still use it and hope that thoses people don't try my brew.

The taste is not from the iodine it is from the cleaner that the guy that I bought the cornies used. It tastes the same way it smelt.

orfy said:
What strength iodine are you using and what dilution are you using it?

I have 10% and dilute it to 1.25ml/L

So thats actually .125ml/1000ml or 0.0125%

It works as a no rinse solution and I have no issues.

More simply, one capful of Iodophor is 1/4 ounce; add to 2.5 gallons of water, it works out to 12.5PPM, the recommended concentration for no-rinse applications.

Back