Unintended eisbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
Thought this was pretty funny. I recently tried changing the temperature and PSI settings on my kegerator setup to get colder beers while maintaining the right amount of carbonation. I noticed that, about a week or two after I switched the settings, my American amber (which was the furthest back in the kegerator) started tasting a lot maltier all of a sudden. At that time I didn't think anything about it other than a, "Hmm, something's weird here."

Last night, I kick the keg and switch it out for a maibock I've had lagering for a few weeks. When I open up the top to wash out the keg, I see an ice block about a half inch thick sitting about 2/3 of the way down the keg. Mystery solved.

Suffice to say that I turned the temp back up and adjusted the PSI setting back to where they were...

Did you transfer the unfrozen portion of the keg? I just checked my fermenter downstairs and my probe was not reading properly and the temp dropped below freezing. I now have two frozen kegs. One is a maibock, so it would be possible to make it an eisbock, but I am not sure how to proceed. Should I thaw it completely? Should I thaw it partially and transfer, resulting in an eisbock?

I did, straight from the keg to my belly, glass by glass. :) (Didn't realize what happened until I went to clean the tapped keg.)

Given your situation, you probably should transfer the unfrozen portion. Let us know how it goes!

Latest posts

Back