Partial Mash - Depth of mash water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ampsonic

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew my first partial mash this morning. My kit calls for 1 gallon of mash water for 4lbs 16oz of grain. Problem is, my kettle is 32qt, and one gallon of water is really shallow, I don't know if I can get the grain all under water? Is it easy enough to spread out in the grain bag? Is it bad that it would all sit right on the bottom? Can I safely increase the amount of water?

Any tips appreciated. Maybe I need a smaller kettle before I brew.

1 gallon is way too little. Use 2 gallons which would be approximately 1.5 qts/pound - which is way more appropriate.

Alright, I've been reading everything I can about thin mashes, and it sounds like pH is the only real concern. Many people mash 2qts per lbs, and it sounds like I can probably push that a bit more and be fine.

I've also learned that I can probably do an all grain BIAB in my pot! Next time.

4lb 16oz is 5lbs for one. My 1st pm used 5lbs of grains in 1.5 gallons distilled water in a 5 gallon BK. That's one quart per pound of grain in a biab style. At 1.25 quarts of water for 5lbs,that be about 1.6 gallons of water. I found my 5G SSBK worked ok with 1.5G and a cake cooling rack in the bottom to keep it from burning.
I sparged with 1.5 gallons of water for 3 gallons partial boil volume.

Back