Depressurizing used kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixon72

Reaction score
I just scored 3 used kegs that my neighbor was throwing out... go me!! :ban:

However, I'm afraid my keg experience is limited to tapping them at parties. I am going to find a welder that may have a plasma cutter to cut the tops off. Two of the three kegs are still 1/2 full of beer.

My concern is how can I relieve the pressure on the kegs prior to cutting them open so I can live through the experience and enjoy more homebrew?

I guess this post is going to be two fold...My project with the 1st keg will be turning it into a boil kettle. I am a brewing n00b and have just finished my first NB extract brew this last weekend. Since I'm still extract brewing but would like to AG brew sometime, what would be the best option to use between a false bottom and something like a bazooka "T" screen?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Cheers!
-Dixon

I've read that you can simply press down the ball on the ball valve at the top of the keg to release the pressure. I've also heard that you want to put the keg on its side before doing this, or any beer left in it will blow out at you.

JeepGuy is right. I laid my kegs on the side and sat on top of them and pressed the butt end of a screwdriver down on the ball to release the pressure. This will help you avoid a nasty old beer spray.

Wow! That was a fast couple of responses. Thanks a lot, I'll give it a shot.

-Dixon

On all 3 of mine I just cut right in w/ my grinder. A little pressure released as I first cut through, but it wasn't anything to be alarmed with. I guess I don't understand the need to depressurize first. :rolleyes:

It's scary to start grinding into it knowing it has 10 PSI on it. I don't think anything bad would happen. I would just rather have it depressurized. Lay the keg down and drive a little finishing nail between the ball and seal. Let it vent.

foppa78 said:
...I laid my kegs on the side and sat on top of them and pressed the butt end of a screwdriver down on the ball to release the pressure. This will help you avoid a nasty old beer spray.

I did this exact thing...all except the lying it on the side part.

I actually ran home at lunch and couldn't resist doing something with my new keg.

Needless to say, I returned to work with a different shirt and my hair slightly matted to the side.

BierMuncher said:
I did this exact thing...all except the lying it on the side part.

I actually ran home at lunch and couldn't resist doing something with my new keg.

Needless to say, I returned to work with a different shirt and my hair slightly matted to the side.

Haha. Yeah I learned by error as well. My nasty spray was from a keg still half full that had been sitting in a barn for over 3 years. :(

It was a good thing I laid the kegs on their sides. Beer went everywhere!! Two of them were still 1/2 full, and the beer soaked towel is still on the front porch...eewww! Thanks for the help.

-Dixon

my first one had an apricot wheat that had been sitting in the phoenix sun for about a month.

talk about rank, this stuff was absolutely horrid

The easy-no-spray-way to depressurize is to just drill a small hole in the top, in the section that you are going to throw away. No fuss, no muss. Clean face, too.

You can press down on the ball in the middle, make sure the keg is on its side or empty before doing so, after that is completed get a thin flat head screw driver and hammer it into the little ring around the keg, all you need to do is lift the ring up a little bit then take another thin flat head screw driver and hammer it on the side of the ring to make it pop out. After that simply twist the head of the wand on the keg and pop it out

But don't do it until you are ready to start cutting, drilling, removing the dip tube etc. Oh and Do it OUTSIDE!

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back