Can someone suggest a recipe for Northern Brewer and Saaz, or one for each?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddskinnfan

Reaction score
I picked up some Northern Brewer and Saaz pellet hops from HopsDirect. I really had no recipes for their use, but read that there were a lot of ales that used these two hops.

Anyone have a recipe suggestion for them together, or one recipe for each? Would you recommend a SMaSH recipe for these hops, and if so what grain for what hop?

Thanks for any info!

My favorite use for northern brewer hops is definitely the California common! I love it, and it's one of my favorite to keep on tap. I have two different recipes posted, if you want to take a look.

I don't use Saaz that much, but it's great as finishing hops in my Dead guy clone. It would be the perfect hop variety for a pilsner, though, if you have lagering capabilities.

My favorite use for northern brewer hops is definitely the California common! I love it, and it's one of my favorite to keep on tap. I have two different recipes posted, if you want to take a look.

I don't use Saaz that much, but it's great as finishing hops in my Dead guy clone. It would be the perfect hop variety for a pilsner, though, if you have lagering capabilities.

Yeah, brew up a nice Cali Common. According to Jamil in "Brewing Classic Styles", a true Cali is brewed exclusively with NB hops. I have also recently brewed an American Stout that used 2oz of NB's later in the boil. I'll post the recipe (and my Cali Common) if you like. Cheers!

I use NB and Cascade in my Cream Ale. Not sure if it's to style or whatever, but it's basically BM's Cream of Three Crops with what I had laying around.

6.75 lbs 2-row
2 lbs flaked corn
1 lb minute rice
4 oz Crystal 10L

Mash at 152 for an hour, sparge with 175F water

Hops:
0.5 oz Cascade @ 60 min
0.5 oz NB @ 60 min
1.0 oz Cascade @ 0 min
0.5 oz NB @ 0 min

WLP001 yeast - ferment for two weeks @ 68F and toss it in the keg.

I've used NB in a Vienna/NB smash from DeathBrewer and it turned out fantastic. 10lb Vienna + 1oz Northern Brewer at each: 60min, 20min & 5min. US-05 or Notty yeast. AWESOME.

There's a recipe somewhere around here for a summer wheat beer with Saaz and some rye malt that got rave reviews.

To me, Saaz and Northern Brewer both give a little spicy or minty quality.

On the Saaz, might I suggest a saison with a couple of late hop additions. The spiciness of that hop seems to match the yeast and the style well.

Back