Ball lock keg port leak fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slarkin712

Reaction score
I have a ball lock keg that started leaking from the threaded port that the post attaches to. It leaks around the little rim at the bottom of the port(see picture) that looks like a washer (it's not a washer, it's just part of the port). I've never had this problem before. My guess is that the port must have bent a little from removing the post for cleaning. The port is probably welded on, so perhaps the weld cracked. Nonetheless, I want to fix this. I was thinking of just filling the rim around the port with solder. Is this a good idea? I've never soldered stainless steel, so I'm not sure how well this would work. Anyone have any suggestions?

20131008_064620.jpg

There's a "sticky" at the top of the D I Y forum, about silver soldering stainless stuff..........Give it a look before you try!

Edit:...........Can you possibly cap it and apply some pressure and leak check solution, just to verify the location?

Hate to see ya' start throwing heat and solder at it, if you can't confirm the leaking spot.

Try a 10X magnifying glass as well.

I can't see any of your pictures...

but I have had to silver solder a keg that had a small leak at the post base area.

Stainless steel wire brush, lots of flux and then silver solder.
I Burn't some of the rubber, but was a good success story.

Have at it.

I triple checked to make sure the leak was come from the port "ring" before posting this issue, so I'm certain of the leak location. I gave soldering a try last night with no success. I have silver solder and typical paste flux from home depot. I cleaned the area really well, then applied the flux, heated with a torch, and then tried to apply the solder. The solder would not stick at all. It just ran right off the side of the keg. It's probably two things. I didn't sand the area down at all, so I'll try that tonight. Second, I don't think the flux I'm using is appropriate for this application. I may have to get the Harris stay clean stuff.

Yep, probably the flux..........You did read "silver solder", yes?

Doubtful, ( me thinks!), that you'll find the proper flux and silver solder at Home Depot.

Plumbing supply house will fix you up.

There's a Grainger near me that has Harris Stay-Clean and Stay-Silv flux. Which one works better?

I don't have it handy here at work, but I THINK my container at home is "Harris Stay-Clean" flux.

If no rush I can look tonight after work, or peruse the "sticky" on stainless soldering, which I THINK recommends that particular one as well........:)

Back