Complex Solenoid Valve Routing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshwoodward

Reaction score
I had a late-night brainstorm that resulted in a mostly automated brewing process. Unfortunately, I'd underestimated how difficult the fluid routing would be. Essentially, I have 7 junction points to control. Three of those have two inputs, three more have four inputs, and one has five inputs. All of these need to be able to handle boiling wort.

I'm new to solenoid valves. I figured I'd be able to just choose valves with N inputs and one output, but it seems like almost all of them are on/off two-way switches. That'd work, but it'd make an already complicated system even worse.

Has anyone done anything like this? Where can I get affordable solenoid valves that meet my needs? Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely? Thanks!

You are barking up the wrong tree.

Solenoid valves usually end up in having failures due to particles or sticky wort. What you need are these:

https://www.oscsys.com/store/valves

Also check out my build, I have already gone down this route, its a ton of work mind you but I think the payout will be amazing.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-insane-25-gal-100-percent-hard-plumbed-tri-clover-automated-tippy-build-409516/

Looks good, and I noticed they also have 3 way valves that may help the OP's delima. Do you have issue with the cycle time? For the 3 way valve they list a cycle time of about 15sec. I'd assume the 2 way would be more as it would travel a full 180deg instead of 90deg.

I think the cycle time is alot faster then that. I have messed around with them a bit. My rig isnt up and running yet, so I couldn't tell you if I will run into issues yet.

Latest posts

Back