Using Citra hops. Early/Late in boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noslenwerd

Reaction score
I am brewing a beer loosely based off of Flying Dog Raging ***** (Belgian IPA)... Wanted to put my own twist on it with some citra hop. Any recipe I find that uses citra hops, ends up using them late in the boil (15 min and later). Any reason for this? Anyone ever use it earlier in the boil? If so would you recommend doing it?

Was going to do a minor addition at 45 min, 15 and 5

Citra hops are mostly used for late hopping additions and dry hopping additions because of their strong flavor and smell. Citra is considered dual purpose because while it does have the flavor and aroma it's also reasonably high in AA. So you could use it for bittering, yes.

I did a 60 minute Citra addition in a blond ale, the only hops I used and then only because I had just enough left over from another batch to get the IBU's that I wanted. I was surprised to find a citrus flavor in the blond because I thought the hour long boil would drive off all the aroma.

Also not trying to be a jerk here, but if you don't know what a particular hop does or tastes like, how is that putting your "own twist" on a recipe? I'm just saying that because Citra is a pretty unique hop, you should play with it in something straight forward to see what it can do before trying to augment a recipe with an ingredient you've never tasted.

Back