Newb Paranoid About Possible Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcocch

Reaction score
OK..so I have an extract kit American Pale Ale in primary right now. It's been in primary for just under 2 weeks. I pulled the cover off the bucket today and found a bunch of small gold clusters of something. I know these pictures aren't the best, but iPhones struggle focusing on beer apparently. Is this infected or just the remaining krausen? It smells like a flat APA...I didn't taste it because I'm a pansy...

Top view inside fermenting bucket:
Picture9_zpsc6676258.png

Side view before taking FG:
Picture8-3_zps8565e0ee.png

So what do you brew gurus think? Random floating debris or infection? I was going to dry hop on Monday...

I am 99.9% sure that what you have there is just floating particles of yeast. a batch I just did recently with s-04 yeast had a lot of the similar little yeasties floating in clumps on the surface.

The funny thing is... I read though about 10 pages on the "Post Your Infection" thread and looked at countless pictures and thought to myself, "I'll know I have an infection if I see one after looking at all these pics!" Then I open the lid and I instantly think, "I don't remember what any infection looks like except the spiderweb-looking one!"

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I'll taste it before I dry hop on monday...if I can get my pansy panties off! :D

Does every new brewer think we have an infection. I have a bucket and didn't look but I just knew there was something growing in there that wasn't supposed to for the three weeks it was fermenting.

Latest posts

Back