Hop pellet water absorption amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAAAA

Reaction score
Is there a equation or amount for the amount of water hops absorb in a regular boil?

I've done some research on the web and it seems to come out to .6 quarts per oz. Having said that...I have had inconsistent results using this. One brew it's dead on...next one I have a 1/2 gallon too much, with all the gravity problems that brings.

I've done some research on the web and it seems to come out to .6 quarts per oz. Having said that...I have had inconsistent results using this. One brew it's dead on...next one I have a 1/2 gallon too much, with all the gravity problems that brings.

That seems a lot. A pound (dry) of hops would then weigh over 20 pounds wet. I regularly collect between 1 and 2 pounds (dry weight) of hops in a strainer because at the conclusion of the boil and the strainer, pretty heavy in its own right, certainly doesn't weigh 20 - 40 lbs. Though, of course, I've never really paid attention to this.

I wonder if if changes from one hop to another.

It changes from pellet type to pellet type, not from hop type to type (not materially anyway).

This question can't be answered though, it depends too heavily on how you separate the hops from the wort.

That said, it is stupid simple to measure.

For whole I use 0.09375 gal/oz (0.375 qt/oz). After measuring my kettle dead volume, CFC and tubing hold back, I always am right on my to fermentor volumes (calibrated fermenters). I used to brew more but then I wasted it because when I got to the keg, I had left over.

Actual results may vary.

Latest posts

Back