Adding roasted grains at mash-out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert

Reaction score
I was reading some old posts on hbd.org and some people suggested adding roasted grains at mash-out in dark beers (stouts, for instance) to prevent astringency that I sometimes notice when using roasted malts while still getting the appropriate color.

I was thinking of trying it this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it.

I did this with an Oatmeal Stout that I brewed back in November or December. The beer definitely doesn't have any astringency, but I have no control to conclusively determine that the same beer with roasted grains mashed for 60 minutes would be more astringent.

the only thing i can think of is that youre not going to get the efficiency or the starches or the flavor from the roasted grains like you would if you introduced them to the grist at dough-in. the astringent flavors can be removed by modifying your roasted grain content, and using the proper yeast and fermentation process. you can try that method, but i think your beer will turn out,......uh.....different.

I guess I'll have to give it a shot and report results. Of course I'm not sure I want to make two batches of stout for comparison...

If ph is what you're worried about, then I'd just adjust my water on the front end.

Latest posts

Back