wyest temp before smacking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tywelcome

Reaction score
I got a smack pack for a porter I plan on brewing this weekend.
I currently have the liquid wyeast in the fridge. I plan on smacking 1 1/2 days before brewing. The question I have, I have looked at the package, is do I bring the wyeast packet up to room temp before smacking?

Thanks.

I usually do at room temp...I usually do about 4-5 hours before pitching and have great results

Thank schumed.
I was planning on brewing first thing in the morning. So I will just room temp them the night before and smack em that night after temp is achieved.

You don't need to smack them so many hours before. I typically take mine out of the fridge the morning of the day I am brewing. Once it's been sitting out 2 hours or so I pop the packet inside and start prepping for brewing. By the time it takes to heat water and steep the grains, then bring the kettle to a boil and do an hour boil the pack is fully swollen by pitching time.

You can also expedite the package warming. I've put it between my hands, under my armpit (lol), and even exhaled on it with warm breath to warm it up quicker. Always works well. While brewing I will also often shake the pack here and there, helps it swell quicker.

Rev.

if you're using a smack pack it's a good idea to use a starter, those packs are generally pretty low in cell count. don't sweat it if you're still working on your first brew or two but making a gallon starter a few days beforehand will make a difference in your next brews.

Could I put out the packet the night before to warm to room temp? So I can be ready first thing.

I usually just pull it out of the fridge when I first start cleaning and sanitizing everything. I let it warm up a bit while all thats going on and then smack it around the time my boil starts. I give it a good shake, per the directions on the back, a few minutes before pitching time. No problems yet.

I did a starter for my Wyeast American Ale last week... I used a simple pot and container method. 1/3 cup of LME and 3 cups water. And the starter either never started, or it did it so quickly I never saw it. Anyway, I pitched it 25 hours after I did the starter and in 36 hours I had the airlock going crazy. I have recently found this video from Wyeast and am going to try no starter next brew.

Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back