Do big bubbles necessarily mean a pellicle?I

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metasyntactic

Reaction score
I've got an irish red that's been sitting in the carboy for a couple weeks, and today I noticed some rather large bubbles. They appear milky/yeasty, but did I grow something I didn't intend to?

Difficult to photograph, but nonetheless:

enMVX3u.jpg

Iiw37KH.jpg

sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between floating yeast cells and co2 and a pellicle that is just forming...let it ride and see what happens.

sometimes it is hard to tell the difference between floating yeast cells and co2 and a pellicle that is just forming...let it ride and see what happens.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what's going on now. All of the really big bubbles have popped and there are now just a few medium sized ones forming and popping over the scale of a day or so.

It's a big-ish beer and I was planning on letting it sit for a month anyway. I'll just watch it.

metasyntactic said:
Yeah, I'm not really sure what's going on now. All of the really big bubbles have popped and there are now just a few medium sized ones forming and popping over the scale of a day or so.

It's a big-ish beer and I was planning on letting it sit for a month anyway. I'll just watch it.

I think that looks normal.

Was this photo within days of your krausen falling?

I'd say that is caused by something other than sacc, but I'm working on my blurry picture infection diagnostic skills, so please report back.

Back