BeerSmith 2 Boil Addition Sugars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmick

Reaction score
I'm brewing a tripel right now and about 10% of the grain bill is sugar. I thought I had really whiffed on my pre-boil gravity, but now I'm noticing that if I remove the sugars from my boil additions in BS, the calculated pre-boil gravity goes down. This is incorrect, no? My pre-boil gravity shouldn't change if I'm futzing with boil addition sugars, so is this just a program flaw? I'd sure like that, since it would mean I'm, on target with my pre-boil gravity. Thoughts?

The pre-boil gravity should be comprised of sugars yielded from the mash. It must be a bug that adding sugars during the boil is changing the pre-boil gravity. I think you're correct.

Hit my SG dead on, looks like this is a glitch in BS 2.0, including the boil sugars into the pre-boil gravity, despite the fact that they're obviously not pre-boil. Something to keep in mind when using it if you measure the gravity pre-boil to make sure you're on track. I almost added a pound of DME, which would have led to a wayyyyy too strong tripel.

I noticed the exact same thing. I brewed a PM on Nov. 5th and my pre-boil SG was way under what BS had said it should be. Apparently it was adding my DME and LME additions into the mash calculations. I for a few minutes I thought I had really screwed something up.

I just experienced the same issue with BS 2.0, it does appear to calculate any DME or sugar addition in the Pre-Boil gravity. I added some DME to adjust my gravity at pre-boild and ended up with a SG about 8 points higher.

same thing happened to me...boy was I hot when i was .010 under pre boil! luckly I figured that out before I "fixed" with DME

Back