Using fruit after removing from wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flitts

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the remains of the fruit after removing it from the wine to bake with?

i have eaten them and its not something i would do again although i could see using them for bread or muffins. I just never thought to do it. WHat types of fruit are you thinking? Most fruits i use become sludge by the point that i rack them with exception of raisins and craisins and such....

I recently made a carrot wine. All my sources said to seep it in hot water, then make the wine from the water and a soup from the carrots. Granted, the carrots never made it into the fermenters...

I am using strawberry and rhubarb and you are right it is just sludge. I thought maybe if I try it in a receipe that calls for fruit it might add something to it. I was more concerned that the fruit would be edibile after it gets racked out. Didn't want to make anyone sick.

Wonder if you could take it out, run it through the blender to make sure it's smooth and then use it in recipes that call for applesauce.

defifnitly eddible. It would be a mixture of a vegemite type solution and fruit. Most if not all the flavor will be gone and any intact fruit have a highly alcoholic tinge to them. Im thinking of raisins in that capacity.

I've only done a few strawberry batches with real fruit. After a week in the primary it doesn't resemble anything that i want to put in my mouth.

I wouldn't eat it but the chickens sure went bonkers over it!:D One of the roosters tried to take me on about 30 minutes later when i went to look for eggs-- must give them a bit of false courage too!:drunk:

I wouldn't eat it but the chickens sure went bonkers over it!:D One of the roosters tried to take me on about 30 minutes later when i went to look for eggs-- must give them a bit of false courage too!:drunk:
Yup, a drunken rooster is not to be messed with. :D

I made some cranberry apple raisin wines and thought I'd use the pressed pulp for some sweet breads and muffins, but after doing some taste tests decided it lost too much and was better added to the compost pile.

Back