Ferment times?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StitchMySmile

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was hoping to get some advice on fermentation times for primary and secondary, also how long most of you age for? I'm use to doing meads which usually spends a lot of time in each stage but I understand cider is different. I've been unable to find a decent guide online regarding these specifics. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

It really depends how well you control your ferment temp, nutrition, yeast health, etc. I've had ciders that were great within a month, and some that didn't get good until they were 6 months old.

The process I've used with the best success is staggered nutrient additions and ale yeast fermented around 60*F.

Unfortunately I live in military housing so air conditioning is spotty. My brewing area is normally in the high seventies low eighties. Because of this I use lalvin 71b for most of my non-beer projects. Would this heat increase ferment time in each stage?

Higher ferm temps will make it ferment faster, but it'll take longer to condition. So Primary will be done quickly, but you'll probably want to give it a while in secondary. I'd probably check it after a month and see how it's doing. If it's still rough, let it go another couple weeks, then check again. When it gets to how you want, bottle it at that point.

I ferment/let condition for a month at 73 degrees, mainly using Safeale S-05, then straight into the keg for carbing and conditioning. Unfortunatly, the conditioning rarely happens, as my last keg lasted 26 days before going dry... :)

At least to my taste, and YMMV, the little bit of better flavor from conditioning is not worth waiting several months to drink the stuff. Although I did make a spruce beer that took 6 months before the flavor subsided enough to be kinda drinkable...

Back