Need help creating chat room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MariaAZ

Reaction score
I am in need of a web-based chat room. Several acquaintances want to get together and chat, but not all are familiar with IRC. I'd like to have something that a user can log into an IRC channel via web page because I prefer mIRC but don't want to have to force everyone else to download another program.

How can I set up a web-based access to an IRC channel? Even if it is just a portal to IRC that they have to manually join the channel is OK too.

LOL I was going to give you some advice but you are way ahead of me. :mug:

Can't you just find a chat where you can create private rooms?

I'm not really familiar with web-based IRC chat, and the others aren't familiar with IRC programs like mIRC. I think the web-based will be easiest, but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.

I don't know how many people you want to chat with but could you just use one of the messenger apps from Microsoft, AOL and a host of others. They set up rather easily. You might even be able to use Skype and do voice conferencing over the Net. I think it is free from computer to computer.

yeah use aim or something and make a private room.

what is hard about irc, you type and press enter.

p.s. you can use the java based one Txbrew posted in announcements to connect to any irc network.

It's not that IRC is difficult, it's that it requires the others to download another program. Being that they are business associates, I'd rather not have to suggest they download a program. There is also the issue of configuring the IRC client, and I know if I suggest they download the program they will expect me to help configure it... and I try to stay as far away from that kind of thing as is possible ;)

Then I would suggest AIM, or MSN or yahoo, or icq. (j/k on last one)

Just have them get on that and make a private room and invite their s/n

Latest posts

Back