Anyone see this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr1nkBeer

Reaction score
Pumpkin ale in secondary three weeks...

image-2433202233.jpg

This on top... Another shot..

Im kegging anyway it smells fine... Im going to taste it in a few...

image-2943376650.jpg

No really any guesses here? Should i risk a good dinner? This stuff tasted fine.. Damn good actually....
Aliens... Nah
Science project... Nah
Hhmm aliens... Got me thinking...
Ive seen pics of infections none look like this... The film was chalkie and disolved to nothing when i touched it? Mold? What!?

eh.. i'm going to sleep on it... i just cant find any pics of anything like it anywhere...

It's an infection, although they're tricky to diagnose. Get it kegged fast and cold immediately if it still tastes good. Cold will keep it from getting worse. If it tastes good, it's fine to serve to guests.

thats pretty much what i did... i'm terrified now.. do i have to worry about infecting my taps? Beer lines?... I recently switched sanatizers and i bet i just didnt wait long enough with the less foaming one I switched to.. I like the the old Starsan... lots of foam... you know your getting it covered...

well lets see how it goes...

I've only seen that on my 1gal blow-off measuring cup. It formed when I didnt change the blowoff water for 10days- there were bubbles in the skin/film on top.

Dr1nkBeer said:
Its like lacing... I used irish moss at the last 5min of this batch..

I'm assuming this is a photo of the pellicle clinging to the side as you emptied the carboy. I've never seen one form down the side like that.

thats pretty much what i did... i'm terrified now.. do i have to worry about infecting my taps? Beer lines?... I recently switched sanatizers and i bet i just didnt wait long enough with the less foaming one I switched to.. I like the the old Starsan... lots of foam... you know your getting it covered...

well lets see how it goes...

As long as it tastes good, you're fine. Just sanitize those lines well after your keg kicks and you won't have any issues at all.

I'm assuming this is a photo of the pellicle clinging to the side as you emptied the carboy. I've never seen one form down the side like that.

Thats correct the sides of the fermenter coated when i kegged it... so weird.. I'm a little weary as to serve this to my family tomorrow... can it make you sick or is it just a taste thing.. this is my first time infection so NEWB here.

on the other hand i find it interesting that some have commented on this turning into a "sour" batch.. i have to read up a little on it..

As long as it tastes good, you're fine. Just sanitize those lines well after your keg kicks and you won't have any issues at all.

Thats good to know.. i always sanitize after I empty a keg and just before I tap a new one... I run some warm water through about a gal or so.. then i run some fresh sanitizer.... I then pour a pint or to fill the line with brew and dump the pint.. then the rest you all know. :cross:

cant wait to pour me a pint tomorrow.. it tasted fine... but tomorrow will be the true taste.

Thats correct the sides of the fermenter coated when i kegged it... so weird.. I'm a little weary as to serve this to my family tomorrow... can it make you sick or is it just a taste thing.. this is my first time infection so NEWB here.

on the other hand i find it interesting that some have commented on this turning into a "sour" batch.. i have to read up a little on it..

Nothing bad for you can grow in beer- the pH is too low and the alcohol way too high. The worst that can happen is that it could make your beer gross. Get it cold and drink it quick! If it tastes sour or funky already, it's not going to get better, but you could let it ride and see if it turns into anything interesting. If it tastes HORRIBLE it's never going to taste good, though.

Also, never bottle an infected batch. There's always the chance you have something that could super attenuate the beer and blow up bottles. Kegs are fine though- they can take the pressure.

You may have an amazing sour pumpkin beer down the line. Like Jolly Pumpkin's La Parcela No. 1 Pumpkin Ale.

first i'm pretty honored you have chimed in i respect your posts and have read many!... so thanks..

..now how feasable is it that this "alien" infection doesnt ruin this batch?.. can it actually become a bit sour and taste okay?

Dr1nkBeer said:
first i'm pretty honored you have chimed in i respect your posts and have read many!... so thanks..

..now how feasable is it that this "alien" infection doesnt ruin this batch?.. can it actually become a bit sour and taste okay?

Intentionally soured beers (using commercial strains or commercial beer dregs) usually turn out good. Infected batches can turn out good, but it is much less certain. Also, have you ever had a sour beer? For some, it is an acquired taste.

Cant say i have... had a sour beer.
Last night the Fam came over a few beer drinkers hit up my keg and while i was hosting running around I saw my Bro-in-law with a glass of some wicked colored orange beer with a great head on it i thought he brought it himself... then he told me he sampled all four of my taps in the basement and found the 4th to be the best.. guess where my pumpkin ale was layed in? YUP.. the number 4 spot.
Still have plenty left in the keg.. and hopefully its all gone in the next few weeks...

THanks for listening... during this stressfule experience.

It might taste great now, but it will continue to change for the worse unless you get it kegged and away from oxygen. Most infections are aerobic, and once you get the beer on tap it will halt the bacterial growth.

It might taste great now, but it will continue to change for the worse unless you get it kegged and away from oxygen. Most infections are aerobic, and once you get the beer on tap it will halt the bacterial growth.

its kegged and sitting at about 38 degrees in the keggerator... I was hoping for it to all go on thursday.. but we had plenty of "grape juice" so the beer is sitting at about 50% consumed...

will this really stop the bacteria?... so i have nothing to worry about from here on out?

its kegged and sitting at about 38 degrees in the keggerator... I was hoping for it to all go on thursday.. but we had plenty of "grape juice" so the beer is sitting at about 50% consumed...

will this really stop the bacteria?... so i have nothing to worry about from here on out?

It will definitely slow it down- it may not stop it entirely. Think about your fridge- things still get moldy in there, but it just takes a lot longer. If it tastes great now, just drink it until it doesn't anymore, or it's gone, which will probably happen first.

Back