Wild beer roll call

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok im really interested..whats brett? and where can I read about wild brewing?
Peck are you using an oak cask cuz you know the yeast now lives there?

brett is a "wild" yeast, and a spoilage microorganism in the wine industry, if youve ever had orval or a lambic, youve experienced brett

you can read about wild brewing, on the burgundian babble belt, Wild Brews by Jeff Sparrow, google raj apte, mad fermentationist, or ryanbrews

I've brewed one framboise. This was brewed in January before I know much about sour beers and was made at the request of my fiance. Since then I have really started to enjoy sour beers and took my first sample today since adding brett, been about 4.5 months. It tastes AMAZING! Not too sour, which was part of the request. I added some French oak to the carboy today (3 oz of medium toast). I will try again in a few weeks and probably bottle sometime this summer. Then it's going to be time to make some really sour and try some blending.

I've brewed one framboise. This was brewed in January before I know much about sour beers and was made at the request of my fiance. Since then I have really started to enjoy sour beers and took my first sample today since adding brett, been about 4.5 months. It tastes AMAZING! Not too sour, which was part of the request. I added some French oak to the carboy today (3 oz of medium toast). I will try again in a few weeks and probably bottle sometime this summer. Then it's going to be time to make some really sour and try some blending.

brett really doesnt produce much in the way of acids, if you want something sour you really need to use pedio and lacto, if you use pedio you really need to include brett though, as pedio produces copious amounts of diacetyle (which brett break down)

brett really doesnt produce much in the way of acids, if you want something sour you really need to use pedio and lacto, if you use pedio you really need to include brett though, as pedio produces copious amounts of diacetyle (which brett break down)

I should have been more specific, I added Wyeast 3278, Lambic Blend, not just brett. The flavors that this have produced are excellent. Thanks for the feedback though, I appreciate it. :mug:

I've brewed a Berliner Weisse.
I'm currently souring a Biere de Mars and a Straight Lambic.

The Biere de Mars is basicaly a lightened Flanders Red recipe. Trapist High Gravity yeast in primary, and the dregs from a Ommegang - Biere De Mars in the secondary.

I will probably sour a Saison, and a Heffeweizen this summer.
I'm a big fan of Jolly Pumpkin's Wiezen Bam.

Brewing another 10 gallons of lambic tomorrow. That will take me to 45gal of sour in the last month. And I still want to get 2 more batches of 100% brett beer before I am done for a while.

Brewing another 10 gallons of lambic tomorrow. That will take me to 45gal of sour in the last month. And I still want to get 2 more batches of 100% brett beer before I am done for a while.

why all the sours lately? research for work?

Nah, I am just trying to get some experiments done with it while I am still in the hyped mood. I figure I will do this lambic and the two 100% brett beers and call it quits for 6 months or so, if only to stagger how often the beers are coming ready.

I would definitely eventually like to own or brew for a brewery that does many sour/funky beers, and this experience will surely prove invaluable, but I am not going to be doing any funky beers at my current pub.

I'm making a flanders red in two weeks. I've got the ingredients, I'm just waiting until I have the free time.

I have a roeselare - flanders brown in secondary forming a nice pellicle on top.

Planning a Brett-C Tripel as my next brew. Considering adding some spice, like ginger, or GoP to complement the funk and spice from the yeast.

Not too many brett recipes in the db, get busy posting the ones that turned out!

Brewed another 10gal of Lambic for a Temptation barrel, brewing another 10gal of Berliner Weiss because the style is freaking awesome, and I have to brew 10gal of Flanders Reddish Brown soon for another Temptation barrel. Damn I love sour brewing.

10 g Lambic
5 g Sour Red (roeslaere blend)
5 g Sour Red (Starter from Rodenbach Gran Cru)
5 g Belgian Pale (finishing w/ B. Bruxellensis)
3 g Belgian Pale (finishing with La Folie dregs)

Current list of sours:

1) Berliner Weisse
2) Flanders Red
3) Brett'd Belgian (Brux)
4) Brett'd Old Ale (Claussenii)

I have a Berliner in keg, I have one in primary and I have a Flanders red in primary and I have a 65gallon barrel in planning :D

I have a berliner in the keg, a flanders brown, the Wild Brews flanders red and the Jamil flanders red all fermenting, and a third stake in the above barrel lambic.

First time dealing with Brett, so I have a couple questions...

Assuming you primaried 3 and 4 with normal Sacc. How long do you leave them on Brett before packaging? I just did a Belgian Tripel with Chimay yeast and added Brett C on day 3 or 4. Planning on racking to secondary once it drops clear, and figured 6 months in secondary. Any advice from someone who has done something similar on when to secondary (if at all) and when to bottle appreciated.

Current list of sours:

1) Berliner Weisse
2) Flanders Red
3) Brett'd Belgian (Brux)
4) Brett'd Old Ale (Claussenii)

Assuming you primaried 3 and 4 with normal Sacc. How long do you leave them on Brett before packaging? I just did a Belgian Tripel with Chimay yeast and added Brett C on day 3 or 4. Planning on racking to secondary once it drops clear, and figured 6 months in secondary. Any advice from someone who has done something similar on when to secondary (if at all) and when to bottle appreciated.

3 & 4 actually both were Sacch + Brett blends from Wyeast, 9097 for the Old Ale and 3789 for the Belgian. They spent 30 days in primary and are now rocking pellicles in secondary where they've been since early May. I don't plan on moving them until at least the end of the year.

I did ten gallons of Saison 2-3 weeks ago and 5 gallons of it got Brett B and only Brett B. I pulled a sample over the weekend and despite looking very active at 70F it had only dropped from 1.056 to 1.030 in two weeks. I stuck it out in the garage where it should stay between 75-80 but it hasn't seemed to get as active as I would like. I am just hoping this finishes out, I don't really care how long it takes. I also hope it cleans up because at the time of sample it tasted pretty terrible. I love me some funk, but this was an unbelievable level of funk...almost fecal.

3 & 4 actually both were Sacch + Brett blends from Wyeast, 9097 for the Old Ale and 3789 for the Belgian. They spent 30 days in primary and are now rocking pellicles in secondary where they've been since early May. I don't plan on moving them until at least the end of the year.

Thanks man, appreciate the advice! I guess I will plan on drinking this one next summer! Gonna need another secondary.

10 g Lambic
5 g Sour Red (roeslaere blend)
5 g Sour Red (Starter from Rodenbach Gran Cru)
5 g Belgian Pale (finishing w/ B. Bruxellensis)
3 g Belgian Pale (finishing with La Folie dregs)

Im not sure how your red with grand cru turned out, but if it was sour/funky it wasnt from the rodenbach, as that beer is flash pasteurized

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Beer Styles - Oud Bruin: Style of the Month

Red with brett brux
Red with Raspberry and brux and lamb
Blond with brett lamb
Blond with cherries and brux and lamb

All above have pedio and lacto.

A quad with brux and lamb and Fantome dregs.

I brewed another 10gal of Berliner Weiss. That makes 20gal I have fermenting. This new batch will be split, half will be dry hopped with amarillo hops, and the other half will have cinnamon added to it for a nice fall version.

Up next, I think I might try a Berliner Rye, or maybe a Black Berliner (or one made with dark wheat instead of pale wheat). I am trying to find the limits of the style, because my dream brewpub will have this as one of its flagships. The fact that every BMC drinker seems to like the style makes me think it would be a great unifier between beer geeks and casual beer drinkers, especially when paired with a wide array of homemade syrups (that could also be seasonal).

I brewed another 10gal of Berliner Weiss. That makes 20gal I have fermenting. This new batch will be split, half will be dry hopped with amarillo hops, and the other half will have cinnamon added to it for a nice fall version.

Up next, I think I might try a Berliner Rye, or maybe a Black Berliner (or one made with dark wheat instead of pale wheat). I am trying to find the limits of the style, because my dream brewpub will have this as one of its flagships. The fact that every BMC drinker seems to like the style makes me think it would be a great unifier between beer geeks and casual beer drinkers, especially when paired with a wide array of homemade syrups (that could also be seasonal).

What technique do you use to sour them? Just add some lacto?

Lactobac, yes. Of course, I also do a no boil, but I don't know yet how much that contributes to the sourness. My next step is to boil for 15 minutes and see if that affects things much.

I've got one Flanders Red using Jamil's recipie thats been on the bugs for almost 9 months. I plan on having this carboy my sour carboy and keep pitching putting one in after I bottle this one when its ready.

07-31-09_Flanders_Red_005.jpg

finally got over my fear of the pellicle and brewed up a batch of 71% pils, 14% wheat, 14% cane sugar with wyeast 3789 that i plan on a long secondary on mangos a la niquejim's drunk owl mango. bubbling away happily in the primary right now. not entirely hardcore wild, but i'm dipping in a toe.

Just tried some framboise that is ~6 months. I used only WY labic blend to ferment. It is very sour but good. A little more aging and I think it will mellow a little to near perfect.

It was a kit I added rasp to but have now moved to AG...anyone have a good AG recipe? I was going for a less sweet, more sour, Lindemans since that is the only one I have had.

Just brewed my first sour beer this weekend, a Flander's Red. I've actually only ever had a Lindeman's Cherry Lambic, so this is a "wild" leap out there for me.

The only thing I had open was a plastic Ale Pail to ferment in. I'm guessing that I want to move it out of that and into glass pretty soon after the really active fermentation dies down.

I've also got old school Mr YUCK stickers to put on the pail and lid just to remind me not to cross contaminate any future brews with my bugged gear.

Terje

1x 1yr old Strong Flemish Red
1x 3 month old Brett C + Lacto + Cherries
2x 2 month old Brett C + Lacto (1 extract, 1 all grain)
2x 1 month old Brett L + Lacto
2x 2week old Sacc + Lacto

Just brewed my first sour beer this weekend, a Flander's Red. I've actually only ever had a Lindeman's Cherry Lambic, so this is a "wild" leap out there for me.

The only thing I had open was a plastic Ale Pail to ferment in. I'm guessing that I want to move it out of that and into glass pretty soon after the really active fermentation dies down.

I've also got old school Mr YUCK stickers to put on the pail and lid just to remind me not to cross contaminate any future brews with my bugged gear.

Terje
If you have already "bugged" up the bucket, you might keep it in there for a little while to allow some oxygen transfer.

Anyway, I've got 5 gallons of a blond ale with Brett C + dregs galore that's been going for about a month and a half.

So far what's souring right now are:
Belgian Funky stout
Oud Bruin
Chocolate Saison (Roselare second gen.)
Table Sour (all Drie Fonteinen)
Bottled:
Brett L stout
Brett C Mango Chipotle
Brett L Vanilla Wine
Oat Wine (Wyeast old ale plus some bottle dregs)
I'd got a Cuvee de Tomme clone type upcoming but using figs/rum instead of cherries/bourbon.

I have started a Lambic Marathon. I plan to make four batches of fruit Lambic; Apricot, Rasberry, Cherry, and Peach. The Apricot and Rasberry beers are in the secondary and the third batch will be brewed today. I started the first batch by pitching White Labs WLP 655 Lambic Yeast and plan to use the original Yeast Cake to brew the four batches of beer destined for the fruit puree's. Once all four batches are in the secondary I plane to brew a fifth batch with a fresh vial of yeast to make a straight Lambic that could be used for blending or just drinking. I have started a thread for this endeavor titled Lambic Marathon and would welcome any comments advice or suggestions.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/lambic-marathon-139650/

i approve of this thread:D right now i've got:

flanders red x2 (WL br. lambicus & br. bruxelles in both)
oud bruin (roselare)
ipa style w/ late chinook & honey addition (roselare)

i need more space to age!

does a berlinner-weisse count? if so i'm in for 5 gallons of flyangler's spurhund zunge

I think so!

I have a Berliner Weisse, and a Flanders Red going right now. I'm planning on brewing a funk-ified belgian dark on Thanksgiving, as well as adding some brett and lacto to about a gallon of watermelon wheat that I've recently kegged, just because I can!

I haven't done anything sour yet but I am hanging out here to do some research... Thanks for all the great info!

I have a 2006, 2007, 2008 Lambic sitting in my closet waiting for me to blend.
A 2008 Flanders red on tap that I just took 3rd place at local contest.
A 2008 Belgian Golden Strong that was fermented in a apple brandy barrel dosed with brett aging.
Brewed a new Flanders this past saturday and I will be doing another lambic brew next month. Sour beers rock!!!!!!:rockin:

Recently I've got a few new sours going, a big dark saison with black cardamom (the sequel to a similar beer with rosemary), a second quad with cherries and bourbon soaked oak, a cider, a Belgian single in the barrel wine barrel that had our Flanders Red, and my third lambic (done with my first turbid mash).

Back