1 pump with a 3 way switch for manual and auto?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tannnick

Reaction score
Is it possible to hook 1 pump up to 2 sides of a 3 way switch using 1 side as manual control, 1 side as off, and the 3rd side as an auto control having a float switch control the pump? Thank you

Yes. This is typically called an HOA switch (HAND-OFF-AUTO). The left position is manual (always on); the middle position is off; and the right position is auto.

It is important that you purchase the correct type 3 position switch. The exact wiring will vary depending on the specific switch you have, but the general idea is: in the HAND position you provide 120VAC to the pump; in the OFF position you provide no power to the pump; and in the AUTO position you provide the signal from the float switch to power the pump. If you have a switch that has single dry contacts for each switch position you will have to jumper one side of each of the contacts together that will then go to the pump or relay.

Make sure to purchase a switch with contacts rated for the appropriate voltage and current that will be passing through them.

I think you can probably find other posts that address this specific issue.

I am using a basic 3 way switch. Where would I get 1 of those switches?

I am using a basic 3 way switch. Where would I get 1 of those switches?

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. A basic 3-way switch will probably work. HOA is just a way to describe what the switch is used for. Can you provide more detail on the switch you have like a part number or a picture of the terminals?

You need a SPDT switch. I made a schematic for someone else but mislabeled the switch. I accidentally labeled it SPST....

Aschem.jpg

Back