Red color middle eastern chicken (Tandoori)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I had some red colored chicken meat in vegas and it was fantastic. Had it at planet hollywood spice market buffet. All I can tell you is the chicken was red, like bbq ribs red.

Anyone know what this is? Maybe have a recipe for it? It was in the middle eastern section of the buffet along with the hummus, and halva.

Sounds a lot like tandoori chicken, though that's Indian rather than Middle Eastern. Was it this?

tandoori-chicken.jpg

Tandoori chicken is fantastic. Though the red is sadly just food coloring.

Yep sounds like tandoori to me.....

I betcha Orfy has a killer diller tandoori recipe....

I've done a couple recipe on my own but they haven't been as good as I have gotten at indian recipes....

Sounds a lot like tandoori chicken, though that's Indian rather than Middle Eastern. Was it this?

tandoori-chicken.jpg

Yes sir, that's the stuff I had.

I swear the red color sunk a good 1/4 inch deep into the meat. It was great.

It's marinaded in yoghurt and spices and lemon juice (usually containing some red food colouring) for 12 hours. Slash the meat first.

Tandoori actually relates to the clay oven rather than the recipe. You can cook it in a normal oven.

If you are not into mixing your own spices then you are better buying a ready made pack.

The trick is to cook it hot and make sure you do the yoghurt thing, not just the spices.

Welcome to the world of good Indian cuisine.

Thanks Orfy, I'm not one for ready made packs.

That stuff you have posted looks awesome. What spices should I pick up? I always enjoy adding spices to my collection.

I don't really have a recipe I follow. I have a cupboard full of spices and use a different general concoction for each recipe I do. I don't measure. It's more by feel.

For Tandoori it is some or all of the following. I don't fret if I forget something if have run out. You can substitute some things or leave them out.

I'd go for the following.

Corriander, cumin, garlic, chilli, celery powder, fenugreek, cardomom, star anise, ginger, red colour, garam masala, clove, powdered mango.

I try not to use the colouring but for this dish it's important. If you're not adding it try some paprika to bulk up the red. I also use it for sweet and sour chinese dishes.

tandoori-chicken.jpg

Actually, I think Anatto seed is what is often used for the coloring. That is what the Chinese use to make those red ribs, not food coloring.

Part of the problem is some of the ingredients we have here are banned in the US.
Annatto seed same to has the same problems of some of the artificial E number additives.

I got some stuff at the local Idian grocery place. they actually have a community here in phoenix.

Vesco Rasberry Red colour.

It lists 2 ingredients. Carmoisine 14720 & Sodium Chloride.

takes like 1/4 teaspoon of this power to dye a whole chicken red.

My star anise is dried pieces, had to mortar and pestle it. I got all the spices you listed, I added how much I thought appropriate based on the smells and my taste.

Slashed the chicken with a razor and let sit with the rub for 24 hours. Then I grabbed some youghurt....not sure if I spelled that right.....and it's gonna sit in there for another 24.

I'm stoked.

Back