Question on Roller Mills and Foreign Debris

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

processhead

Reaction score
So I am crushing my grain with a corona mill, and I know what happens when the occasional pebble or stone get forced into the mill plates.

How do motorized roller style mills handle a hard foreign object like a pebble?
This would seem to be a damaging situation.

Man, I wish you hadn't planted that thought in my head.

I've run close to a half ton of grain through my BC by now without encountering anything that could damage the mill, but I can imagine the right size piece of stone could knock the knurls off the rollers if it dug in.

Great. One more thing to worry about...

Cheers! ;)

In about 200 pounds run through my BC I have had only one rock go through. It made a loud pop sound and went right through the rollers. Couldn't really see any damage luckily..

How do you get a rock in there in the first place?

My observation has been that most of the malt companies seem to do a good job or keeping the crap out of their bags of malt.

Every once in a while one makes it through the sieve though.

The LHBS that does our bulk buys claims to have broken a Barley Crusher snagging a stone in the grist.

My Corona mill locked up on a stone, the drill flew out of my hands and made several revs before coiling up enough cord to pull it from the socket, no damage to the mill, but a scary mishap. Best to keep a firm grip, I was caught off guard.

Be careful, it happens!

I broke the 3/8" shaft off my crankandstein mill using a powerful drill when a stone got caught. I now set my cordless drill to driver mode at about half torque capacity so it will slip if that ever happens. If you motorize with a gear motor, it's probably a good idea to use a plastic spider coupler that would break before any metal parts.

Good ideas here. I've had some small rock pieces go through my mm2 and so far the worst that's happened is some sand in my mash (mill looks unaffected). But I can imagine a larger rock getting in there and really causing a problem.

I almost always get some small rock pieces when my LHBS finishes up a bin of grain on my grainbill. Hmm... things to think about I guess.

Latest posts

Back