2007 Dominion Cup results have been posted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buford

Reaction score
http://jrhomebrewers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=361

Looks like Williamsburg still took top spot in best of show.

Of my four entries:
  • Dunkelweizen scored 4th place in the Dark Lager/Malt Ales category
  • Special Bitter scored 3rd place in the Rye and Bitters category
  • Oak Butt Brown (American brown ale) scored 3rd place in the American Browns/Stouts category
  • Port O'Call (brown porter) scored 1st place in the Porters/English Browns category

I'm kind of surprised at this, I haven't been brewing all that long.

Congrats!!

Yep, CASK took Best of Show for the 4th straight year. That is unheard of, amazing, in fact.

I didn't enter even one beer this year. I've been getting my ass kicked at work and I just didn't have time this year. I am really glad CASK won again though..maybe they should rename the cup?

Buford

Congrats man. My APA's placed 1st and 2nd, only two I entered...plus I got 2nd place BOS. I'm psyched....1st comp I have entered.

Did you make it down to the comp on Saturday?

Wow, I must really suck. I entered two and both came in last in each category. I understand style plays an important role and was encouraged to enter my stout as a porter (everyone that tried this liked it-that's got to say something). Right now I kind of feel like this was my first and last comp.

Oh crap.... I guess it's too late to send in my 2 entries..... It's been a long 3 weeks.....

1f1fan said:
Did you make it down to the comp on Saturday?

Naah, I wasn't there. No way I'm getting up that early on a Saturday.

Flyin' Lion said:
Wow, I must really suck. I entered two and both came in last in each category. I understand style plays an important role and was encouraged to enter my stout as a porter (everyone that tried this liked it-that's got to say something). Right now I kind of feel like this was my first and last comp.

It may really just come down to the matching style guidelines thing, and the guidelines can be pretty strict in places. An awesome tasting beer might score poorly for style if it was in the wrong category. Some beers just don't fit any category and are classified experimental, but that kind of category is filled with some of everything and I'd think there would be a hard time judging it.

I'm surprised my dunkel came in where it did, as I personally thought it was at least somewhat out-of-style ingredients-wise and carbonation-wise. I mainly entered it just because I had it on hand. My personal thoughts on my beers - the brown was so-so (not a fan of browns much, so I can't really say), my bitter was too phenolic (pitched too high of a temp and it took too long to cool afterwards), and my porter didn't have enough body. Or at least that was MY opinion :drunk:

Flyin' Lion said:
No kidding, where ya been buddy?

:off: I was put on a new medication that says AVOID ALCOHOL on the label. As you could assume, I was a bit bummed out about this. A week past and I found out that my sister-in-law who is a physician's assistant is also on the same medication and she still drinks. She said you can drink but not too much. one beer affects you like 2 beers, 2 beers like 4 beers, etc....
So right when I was getting over this bad news I get called up to NJ, my grandfather was sick and not expected to make it. Ended up driving back to VA last Monday, he died Wednesday, drove back up to NJ Thursday and back home yesterday.

So....I had intended on dropping off a couple beers to Bob for the Dominion Cup but for some reason I thought it was due and the beginning of August, not July. Oh well...maybe next year.

Back