Which site is right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
When I put the following info into four different priming sugar calculators I get different answers:
5 gallon ipa at 70*F with a desired co2 concentration of 2.4

Northern Brewer: 5.64oz dme
Brewers Friend: 7oz dme
KotMF: 7.11oz dme
Homebrewing: 5.04oz dme

Which one should I use? Which one do you use? And why are they different?

Hmmm interesting.... I would at least recommend you use corn sugar over DME when you do indeed bottle....

Hmmm interesting.... I would at least recommend you use corn sugar over DME when you do indeed bottle....

Why is that? I have heard of people using both and I have always used dme.

While corn and table sugars are virtually 100% fermentable, DME is not, so you have to decide if that's a good thing or not...

Cheers!

While corn and table sugars are virtually 100% fermentable, DME is not, so you have to decide if that's a good thing or not...

Cheers!

Right. Forgot about that. It seems dme can take a bit longer to carb as well. Also, corn and cane is cheaper!
Anyone have any insight as to what priming calculator to use? A 2 ounce difference seems like a lot...

Right. Forgot about that. It seems dme can take a bit longer to carb as well. Also, corn and cane is cheaper!
Anyone have any insight as to what priming calculator to use? A 2 ounce difference seems like a lot...

The main reason you're getting different numbers is that the different calculators are using different estimates for the apparent attenuation of the DME. Different brands of DME have different attenuation, and would therefore require different amounts to achieve the same carbonation level. If you notice, the NB calculator has two different values for priming with DME, 5.64 oz, and 7.72 oz for Laaglander brand DME. The tasty brew priming calculator has three different amounts, based on DME's with three different AA's.

The calculators use slightly different equations and figures as well, so even using table sugar, which everyone assumes to have 100% AA, the figures won't agree completely. They won't be off by two ounces either though.

The main reason you're getting different numbers is that the different calculators are using different estimates for the apparent attenuation of the DME. Different brands of DME have different attenuation, and would therefore require different amounts to achieve the same carbonation level. If you notice, the NB calculator has two different values for priming with DME, 5.64 oz, and 7.72 oz for Laaglander brand DME. The tasty brew priming calculator has three different amounts, based on DME's with three different AA's.

The calculators use slightly different equations and figures as well, so even using table sugar, which everyone assumes to have 100% AA, the figures won't agree completely. They won't be off by two ounces either though.

Great. Thank you! They seem to all pretty much agree about cane and corn sugar.

I've read that you should use less priming sugar when priming a keg. People say anything from 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and the full volume. What is the correct, most reliable amount?

I've read that you should use less priming sugar when priming a keg. People say anything from 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 and the full volume. What is the correct, most reliable amount?

In general, use 1/2 of the amount you would for bottling assuming that your keg is filled normally (not 1/2 full). For most people, that would be 2-2.5 ounces of corn sugar per 5 gallons.

Back