Starter ingredients - how?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJCalico

Reaction score
Ok.. not a question on HOW to make a starter... but for people who are new to brewing like me (about to brew my third batch.. first with a starter) where do get the 1/4 cup of DME to make the starter?

Silly question I know, but if you dont have a LHBS close enough... can you simply take the bag of DME or LME from the recipe you are about to make, take a bit out, then reseal the bag for another day or two while the starter gets going?

Thanks!

Yes.

Easier and less messy with DME than LME. I've kept DME in a ziploc bag for months, as all I use it for is starters.

thanks... I just wasn't sure if there was a golden rule about exposing the extract (any form) to air, but I guess if it's only going to end up being boiled it's not that big of a deal.

thanks again.

Evidently if you're in a pinch you can also use Malta Goya malt beverage (available in mexican groceries or in the international aisles of major grocery stores).

56340_150x150.jpg

I first heard about it on here a few weeks back and couldn't believe it, then googled it and on several brewboards people swear by it.

Look at all the mentions on Google. [ame]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Malta+Goya+yeast+Starters[/ame]

Latest posts

Back